Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can anyone explain this Orlando Rental Craze
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Can anyone that actually rented a unit in Orlando, Arizona, Palm Springs answer the question I asked. Is it really that east to put this together?

My sister brought raw meat from NY with her and the rest locally in FL (not Orlando). Cooked everything in one day together with her extended family (and continued cooking on yom tov). They had a great time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 10:19 pm
My in laws rented a villa in Orlando with a few other families, they hired a Chabad rabbi from Orlando to kasher the kitchen, and catered all the food. They also shipped some groceries from NY. They wanted to have warm weather and go to Disney world. They had a great time.
As someone else noted, they spent a lot of money on it. Anyone going to Orlando/Arizona / etc for pesach is not doing it to be economical. It usually costs a small fortune. They don't want to make pesach at home and want it to be like a vacation.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 11:27 pm
I did it last year with a sibling. I'd rather pack then pesach clean. We had beautiful weather, a pool and game room, plus loads of space in a gorgeous home to spread out. At home I feel pressured to make fancy meals served on China, none of that here.
I shipped groceries for 5 dollars a box, plus 3 boxes of my own pots and pans for 15 dollars a box, with glatt mart. I think prices have gone up significantly. We got mileage tickets which included 2 suitcases apiece, so we also shlepped stuff ourselves. Had wine and some disposables ordered online and sent directly there.
Yes, we cooked for 3 days, but the kids were in the pool and it wasn't stressful. Hardest part was being super super organized in advance to know exactly what utensils/ingredients we would need.
Was it a vacation? Definitely not for me, but neither is pesach at home. It was very nice, though.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:20 am
I know families that used to go to hotels and since they have married kids now they opted the Orlando option. So definitely people are doing it for budget reasons.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:28 am
I took a suitcase with flatware and pots. My sister took a suitcase with frozen meat. We did a walmart order. Shopped at Win dixi and a kosher grocery store.

House was cleaned for pesach already. We all did the cooking. Kids lived in the pool. We baked a bit in advance and cakes once we got there.

Pesach was not stressful at all. The menus were simple and delicious.

It sure beat staying home. (we had nowhere else to go)

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
I know families that used to go to hotels and since they have married kids now they opted the Orlando option. So definitely people are doing it for budget reasons.

Maybe budget reasons in that it is cheaper as compared to a room in a hotel for every couple at a couple of thousand a person, but not cheaper compared to pesach at home Wink

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 3:55 pm
If people go with married siblings do they share a house or everyone rents their own house? How do you share the cost of food? Does anybody cook at home and bring down the food ready?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
If people go with married siblings do they share a house or everyone rents their own house? How do you share the cost of food? Does anybody cook at home and bring down the food ready?

we rented a house with a pool. Every couple got a bedroom. Girls in one and boys in another. We split the cost of all the food. We baked before a bit and cooked everything fresh.

Queen6

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:18 pm
Maroon;
I've done it. It's a HUGE job. Whoever says it's SO SIMPLE is probably going with their mother or mother in law and eating her food Smile
HOWEVER; when do you get the opportunity to spend ten days in warm weather at a house with a pool?!
The people who do it are obviously willing to put in the work so they can benefit from this opportunity.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics