Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
2 family weddings in one month
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 7:23 pm
certainly there is nothing "wrong" with wearing a shell under a lace or see through material, as in that asos dress.

I think you can wear a nice short dress to both weddings. No need to buy two dresses!

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 7:36 pm
Shells are definitely going out of style in the yeshivish-but-with-it crowd, so if OP is concerned that she not stand out and looks like everyone else, then I see where the "no shell" policy came about. That said, I would still wear a shell that was the exact same color as the dress if I could not find/afford the regular "frum" style which one can only get in an expensive frum store in NY/Lakewood.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, op here. I'm so relieved to here that shells are "ok" ---but kind of confused because there were at least 3 threads on here before pesach talking about how shells are totally out and were never 'in' in the first place and look horribly dated, etc. Most of my clothes, of not all, need shells and I like the look!

Can you post a picture or link to the kind of ribbed shirt you mean? Or any alternative to a shell?

Like everything else they went out for a while and then came back with a slight variance. They'll go out again.
These are what I have. They're expensive, but maybe the same price as adding sleeves?

https://www.instagram.com/tuxebodywear/?hl=en

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
Shells are definitely going out of style in the yeshivish-but-with-it crowd, so if OP is concerned that she not stand out and looks like everyone else, then I see where the "no shell" policy came about. That said, I would still wear a shell that was the exact same color as the dress if I could not find/afford the regular "frum" style which one can only get in an expensive frum store in NY/Lakewood.

They went out, but they're back. That's how fashion works, you could've predicted it Smile

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
So I have 2 cousins getting married in the same month. One is a modernish crowd, where I can easily wear a long gown from a department store (around $150) with a shell or cardigan, and one is a more yeshivishe, in town wedding where I'm told that I should wear a short gown-y dress, with sleeves (no shell). Looking around some frum stores, this would easily cost me at least $300.

Would it make sense to get a long dress for the first wedding and wear it with a shell or cute shrug, and then get it shortened for the second event, using the extra material to make sleeves? Does anyone with actual fashio and/or sewing knowledge think that would work?
I

How "moodern" is "modernish."

Apart from strictly black tie affairs, I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone other than the bridal party in long dresses. Its been out of style for a long, long time in my modern world.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:39 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
That asos dress needs a full shell or lining - not sure you want to go that route.

No it doesn't. It comes lined.

OutATowner

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:46 pm
Buying a long gown at a department store for 150, and having it shortened (no sleeves added though) will still be cheaper than two dresses.
I know someone who had a gown her brother's wedding and shortened it into a very nice shabbos/simcha dress.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:47 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I

How "moodern" is "modernish."

Apart from strictly black tie affairs, I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone other than the bridal party in long dresses. Its been out of style for a long, long time in my modern world.

Op here.
Sephardic, black tie, modernish. Definitely going to wear a long dress.

As an answer to previous posters, it wouldn't be ok to wear the same dress to both.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Like everything else they went out for a while and then came back with a slight variance. They'll go out again.
These are what I have. They're expensive, but maybe the same price as adding sleeves?

https://www.instagram.com/tuxebodywear/?hl=en

Thanks for posting this!
-op

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
No it doesn't. It comes lined.

The top is only partially lined, you can zoom in and see bare arms

mo5

Post Mon, May 01 2017, 7:20 am
LittleMissMama wrote:
The top is only partially lined, you can zoom in and see bare arms