Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ISO Low calorie snack with texture of potato chips?
1  2  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 3:58 pm
I get the nighttime munchies for crunchy potato chip type snacks and it destroys my dieting.

I want low calorie snacks with the texture of potato chips, that I love.

Also, which are snacks (any texture) that you dont have to limit that much, when youre on a diet?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:03 pm
Baked butternut squash chips and beet chips are delish.
I also like store bought gefen popcorners and landau's potato poppers.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Baked butternut squash chips and beet chips are delish.

Thanks! Those are chip type ideas.

Just slice and bake? What temp and how long?

I know they come processed/bagged/vacuum packed, but do the home made ones last in fridge? How long do they stay fresh?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:17 pm
Home made kale chips, but they do need oil. Google a recipe and be careful not to burn them.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! Those are chip type ideas.

Just slice and bake? What temp and how long?

I know they come processed/bagged/vacuum packed, but do the home made ones last in fridge? How long do they stay fresh?

You've got to eat them fresh. But you can slice and refrigerate and take out before baking.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....40147
Use a slicer to get even thin slices. Watch that they don't burn, especially the butternut squash.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:28 pm
I buy a lot of stuff in 100 calorie packages to satisfy my urge to crunch. One of my favorites is Enlighten Broad Bean Crisps (aka fava beans) which are super crunchy and come in a lot of flavors.

I also like Go Lite Pop Chips which are tasty and low in calories. I have Snyders bags of mini pretzels and each bag is 100 calories. I also have Pringles baked lo-cal chips in portion controlled tubs which are 100 calories. Popcorn is low - especially air popped popcorn either made in an air popper or in your own brown bag in the microwave. I also have located some veggies chips - again a bag is 100 calories. I find portion control for these snacks really works well for me.

In terms of unlimited stuff - veggies are your best friend. I like cut up peppers with a sprinkling of flavored salt. I also like to snack on cherry tomatoes.

I have discovered truffle salt which is really a super treat - makes my veggies really sing.

For a little bit more work, you can make a homemade vegetable soup that is very low in calories since you are controlling what goes in. I also like gazpacho in the summer, which again, is essentially vegetables in a different form.

If you can control portions, hummus with veggies makes a great snack but you have to watch the portions.

Both Bumble Bee and Star Kist sell pouches of tuna fish which is very convenient for a quick snack.

chenvchesed

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:29 pm
Apple chips, freeze dried fruits and vegetables, air popped popcorn.

mamamia1

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
Home made kale chips, but they do need oil. Google a recipe and be careful not to burn them.

Yes this.
Perfect and easy.
Gives same satisfaction as potato chip

mha3484

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 4:38 pm
Roasted Spiced Chickpeas

kerem

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 5:33 pm
Smart Fries snack

happinessseeker

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:14 pm
Golden fluff potato flutes

Amarante

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 6:19 pm
kerem wrote:
Smart Fries snack

I've just ordered these. There are some amazing flavors on their websit and I've asked he guy I order from if he can start carrying because right now yiu can only get in akazon and there are limited flavors

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 7:19 pm
I used to love the smart fries. But then they changed the texture of the snack. Sad I hope they go back to the old recipe. I also used to be able to find the honey mustard flavor which was really good.

maapse

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 7:31 pm
Golden fluff potato flutes
Or
Golden fluff zags - same as flutes different shape.
Delicious. 60 calories a bag. Nice flavours. Proper crunchy.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 9:45 pm
mamamia1 wrote:
Yes this.
Perfect and easy.
Gives same satisfaction as potato chip

OP here. I just had my first plateful of Baked Kale.

The Kale that didnt get crunchy was ok, the Kale that gave me the crunchy satisfaction, made me feel sort of like Im eating paper. But it did give me the crunchy satisfaction.

cbg

Post Wed, May 03 2017, 10:35 pm
Never tried it
Nori chips
Celery root chips
Butternut squash chips
I'm going to try to make them using the microwave. #100007577

tiredmommy

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:05 am
Herrs has baked potato chips that are 120 cal a bag and 4 grams of fat. Good for a once in a while treat and really hit the spot. And there's a nice amount in the bag (Not just 4 or 5 chips lol)

seeker

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 12:55 am
I'm not sure exactly how the calories compare to potato chips but I've gotten into plantain chips recently. They're definitely healthier and lower fat and lower carb than potato chips but the texture and flavor-type is comparable. Trader joe's sells a baked variety that takes a drop of getting used to but is really good (as compared to the regular fried kind - not kosher at TJ but available elsewhere - that is more similar to potato chips but surely more caloric too.)

They don't burn like homemade attempts, they're not oily, and they don't have that kale aftertaste.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 2:12 am
amother wrote:
OP here. I just had my first plateful of Baked Kale.

The Kale that didnt get crunchy was ok, the Kale that gave me the crunchy satisfaction, made me feel sort of like Im eating paper. But it did give me the crunchy satisfaction.

So this is no good op. Rather try this.

Get in touch with your hunger signals.
When you are hungry for chips - EAT CHIPS . Real high fat chips. But stop when you are full

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 3:02 am
amother wrote:
So this is no good op. Rather try this.

Get in touch with your hunger signals.
When you are hungry for chips - EAT CHIPS . Real high fat chips. But stop when you are full

She isn't hungry, so this is really bad advice. When someone wants to munch on something crunchy, it's the crunch, not the food they're looking for.
Like the pringles slogan, this is feel good eating, not sustain your body eating.
A person shouldn't be eating anything late at night. But if she is, it should be low calorie.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise