Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My daughter used to do much better in school

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:30 pm
HI! My daughter is a fifth grader and up until this year shes been a 95-100% student, this year things have started going downhill and shes really not INTERESTED in studying at all, ive never had this issue with her before. I understand that the work gets harder with every higher grade but what bothers me most is that she will tell me she studied and knows her work and when I review it with her she does not know it well at all. I cannot force the info into her head.. any suggestions?!?!?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:37 pm
your post is conflicting. on one hand you said she has no interesting in studying - and then lat you said that she told you that she studied.

So is your concern that she is lying to you - or that she doesn't understand what it means to study? Perhaps this is the first time that she's had to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:41 pm
Are there any other changes in her behavior recently? Or is it just the learning?
Could be something is bothering her. Could be she doesn't like her teacher.
You need to figure out if the learning is the problem or if its the symptom of a different problem.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 8:44 pm
When you review with her, is she willing to study more with you? It is quite possible she doesn't understand what is necessary in order to properly study for a test. Chances are that before this year she didn't have to study much at all in order to do well. She probably picked up most of it in class. I teach HS and have this all the time with new 9th graders. They don't realize that what they did as studying in 8th grade does not cut it in HS.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:06 pm
OP here...
Her attitude is like this towards all chores, rules in the house and school. Meaning old rules like brushing teeth in the morning, and washing up when you come home from school etc are just going by undone. And when I ask her if shes done any of it she will tell me "she forgot"... which in essence she hasnt but shes trying to get away with it... same with the studying. She was always my BEST kid and this issues are bothering me lately. We did move a year ago and she changed schools but whenever I ask her if she likes the new school she says she likes it better than her old one.. so I dont think the school is an issue.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:11 pm
well she's taken to lying to you - so I wouldn't believe her that she likes the new school.

would you consider taking her to a child psychiatrist to rule out depression?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 10:12 pm
Sounds like pretty regular pre-teen situation to me. My daughter is about that age and I have similar issues with her, though she had also always been an "easy" kid. Is there a hobby or other activity that she would enjoy (art, dancing, scrapbooking, etc.)? Sometimes having an outlet like that can make it easier for kids (and adults!) To find it in themselves to fulfill their responsibilities like studying an chores. Just a thought.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 8:27 am
My daughter went through the same thing in 5th grade. Math homework was a nightmare (math teacher wasn't so great either). Now she is in 7th grade and is back to being delightful and responsible. I'm hoping she just went through the terrible teens in the pre-teen years.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 9:33 am
5th grade was when I started showing serious signs of inattentive ADHD. Until then I was an A student because I was smart enough to get by without studying. I remained an A student in some subjects that I was naturally good at and became an F student in subjects that required memorization. The worst part is that no one picked up on it and they just assumed I wasn't working hard enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics