Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn not sleeping

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 09 2017, 8:42 am
I had a baby 5 days ago and she is on a very messed schedule. She sleeps all day and is up from 10 to 3 at night and then wakes back up at 615 am leaving me exhausted. So I sleep by day which allows the cycle to continue but I really need my sleep to recuperate as this is the only week I will be given off of family life to catch my breath before my family really needs me to get involved again and be left home with my 2 year old.

Any advice how to get out of this cycle. I try undressing her and waking her but when she sleeps nothing seems to disturb her.

crust

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 11:52 pm
I hope you are able to get some rest!!
Bathing the baby at night might put her into a regular sleep schedule.
Mazel tov and loads of koach!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:15 am
Don't bathe her until the umbilical cord falls off. I had the same problem and this really helped me: during the day time I would leave the radio on and the lights on (keeping her near a window is best because sunlight is the best) so she would start to associate that with day time. At night I kept it dark and quiet. It took about 3 days and she was sleeping at night (obviously she woke up a lot to eat; she was still a newborn) and up more during the day. For the first month or so I also kept the light on and the noise level medium for her naps so she would know she wasn't in for the night yet. Once she was on a better schedule, I put her in a dark and quiet room to sleep.

kalsee

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 3:25 am
Mazal tov op and hugs! A newborn is hard but this stage passes really quickly.
My daughter is not yet 4 months, and I can barely remember that stage you're at, though it seemed endless at the time.

during the day- sleep when she sleeps, but never let her go more than 3 hours. wake her up, feed her, undress her, turn on lights, make some noise.
At night- feed her when she wakes but afterwards put her in her crib, don't talk and laugh and turn on lights. and don't wake her to eat- she might go 4-5 hours even at this age.
I also co-slept at this age , it helps them sleep when they're right next to mommy. I stopped once they were sleeping at night.
There won't be a dramatic change but if you can slowly push her to sleep from at 2 instead of 3, and then maybe the next day she'll sleep at 1 am, and you'll move her day over slowly to the right time.
Good luck!

lucky14

Post Thu, May 11 2017, 2:07 pm
I just had to wait this one out. I tried all those "make them know it's daytime" things and nothing worked. I was so overtired. I was so happy to be a mom, but I was SO overtired.
Eventually he got a bit older and more alert and get his days and nights down.
but really. no matter how dark I kept the house and how engaging I kept him during the day he still cried almost all night long unless I was holding/feeding him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics