Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wedding present for supervisee

iluvy

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 6:55 pm
One of the people I manage is getting married. I would like to buy him a wedding present. However, I never talk about anything other than work with him and have no idea about his tastes or preferences, let alone those of his fiancee, who I have never met or heard anything about. What is a totally generic gift that would be acceptable and appreciated by just about any young non-Jewish couple who have been together a while?

(And is $30 totally cheap? When I got married my manager got me a Le Creuset for $100+ but I am really not interested in spending that much.)

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 6:59 pm
$30 is very cheap. That said, if you aren't going to the wedding, I don't think you are obligated to a gift. (I'm generally in the camp of better to do nothing, than to do cheap).

singleagain

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:28 pm
Maybe you can ask where they are registered and buy a few little things off the registry. When I can't afford a lot of money, I buy six or seven little things off the registry ... Like a can opener and veggie knives, measuring cups etc

agreer

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:33 pm
$30 is pretty cheap. $50 is probably the minimum if you are giving cash or a gift card to a non-Jew (for Jews, you can get away with $18 or $36, but it is pretty cheap for a wedding).

That being said, it's really nice that you want to get him something. If $30 is all you can afford, then don't stretch to do more. However, a gift might look more impressive than a check.

Things to consider: wine glasses, a mini fondue set, a blender - anything for the kitchen, really.

Good luck.

I do think it's very nice of you that you want to get him a gift.

iluvy

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:41 pm
Thanks for your responses. I don't want to ask about a registry in case I don't end up getting them anything embarrassed

Like I said they have been together a while so I'm assuming they don't need things like peelers and measuring scoops. I would never write a wedding gift check for $30 Smile but I was hoping to find a nice serving dish or something a little special but not too expensive. But I don't want to embarrass myself with something that is too obviously inexpensive.

I probably should just forget about the whole thing, but I did get another supervisee a baby gift (so much easier!) so I feel a little awkward.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:44 pm
Check out an out of the way store, like big lots they might have something nice and they are inexpensive

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:50 pm
Can you arrange to get him an extra day off?

iluvy

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:53 pm
Smile he is taking leave for the wedding and honeymoon, and we have unlimited vacation in general

iluvy

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 7:53 pm
singleagain wrote:
Check out an out of the way store, like big lots they might have something nice and they are inexpensive

Thanks!

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 8:50 pm
iluvy wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I don't want to ask about a registry in case I don't end up getting them anything embarrassed

Like I said they have been together a while so I'm assuming they don't need things like peelers and measuring scoops. I would never write a wedding gift check for $30 Smile but I was hoping to find a nice serving dish or something a little special but not too expensive. But I don't want to embarrass myself with something that is too obviously inexpensive.

I probably should just forget about the whole thing, but I did get another supervisee a baby gift (so much easier!) so I feel a little awkward.

If this is a mainstream American, non-jewish couples, you can easily check online to see if they're registered at any of the standard places (Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Crate & Barrel, William's Sonoma...). Also, many couples who have been together (and lived together) for a long time do still need basic things if they're trying to upgrade from hand-me-downs to quality items.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 8:58 pm
You can buy a pie cutter at the silver store for not too expensive. Nice respectable gift. They'll wrap it and put it in a nice bag too.

Miri7

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 11:00 pm
Go to the website theknot.com and enter their names. It will show you where they're registered. Then pick something off the registry.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 15 2017, 11:08 pm
Also found some articles with ideas:

29 Thoughtful Wedding Gifts Anyone Who's Getting Married Will Actually Love https://www.buzzfeed.com/eliza.....3o0Vn

22 Wedding Gifts For Couples Who Already Have Their **** Together https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarah.....Wb2Np

27 Of The Best Wedding Gifts You Can Get On Amazon https://www.buzzfeed.com/mallo.....lpP9A

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laure.....gistr

Amarante

Post Tue, May 16 2017, 12:22 am
I think it's very nice to get a gift in these circumstances and $30 is plenty for someone who isn't invited to the wedding and just has a work relationship. Anything more lavish would seem odd.

In these circumstances, I generally opt for something decorative and/or functional to almost anyone that I pick up at Home Goods or Marshalls so the price isn't that apparent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics