Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
A vent about Craigs List service advertizers

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 10:46 am
I fired the gardener and need a new one. I've set up a number of apts. with folks I called from CL ads. This one fellow insisted he was so busy the only time he could see me was at 9:30 am. Since I'm retired, I no longer do mornings but I conceded, the lawn is getting high and unkempt.

He comes over I walk through the responsibilities both regular and seasonal. He says ' I can write you an estimate right now. We go out to his car, and there is a woman about 80 stumbling around our little parking lot and he introduces me to his grandmother. He says she works with him. Ok.

He completes the quote and hands me the paperwork, no contractors lic. which is required here. I ask him to write the lic. number on the paperwork (as required by law). The kid (maybe he was 21) says he doesn't have one or need one. I ask him who is liable for his accidents or injuries if he's working on the property? He starts giving me a line of pure merde and I basically tell him no thanks and walk away.

I really needed my beauty sleep this morning. I'm angry at the wasted time. ARGH. I'm angry that this chump is not abiding to some common sense rules and laws that protect everyone.

Thanks... I needed that.

Bluesky 1

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 11:17 am
thats why you found him on craigs list. a lesson learned. when you find an advertisement check their license before you attempt to call them.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 11:58 am
Bluesky 1 wrote:
thats why you found him on craigs list. a lesson learned. when you find an advertisement check their license before you attempt to call them.

I don't live in the NYC metro area. The only way we hire people like gardeners etc around here is off the local CL or word of mouth. Our local newspaper doesn't even carry ads of this nature.

kb

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 12:08 pm
Now you know to ask their license number before giving out your address.

Do you have any neighbors who can recommend their gardener to you? If you see a gardener working, you can ask him to come give you an estimate.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:05 pm
hey ya never know how much an 80 or 90 year old could do if they've been gardening all their lives - my neighbor used to garden until her dying day

as for me ... I find out of doors therapeutic

at least they weren't murderers

Last edited by greenfire on Thu, May 25 2017, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri7

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:22 pm
Is their a neighborhood listserv or FB group if you're on FB? We have a couple in my area and I've gotten good recommendations for gardners and the like from there.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 1:40 pm
Doesn't Angie's List carry reviews for service providers like gardeners? Using online discounts, you can get a 1-month membership for just a few dollars.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:12 pm
kb wrote:
Now you know to ask their license number before giving out your address.

Do you have any neighbors who can recommend their gardener to you? If you see a gardener working, you can ask him to come give you an estimate.

I've talked to several of the folks who have been working here on the street or around town. None have made the cut.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:15 pm
Miri7 wrote:
Is their a neighborhood listserv or FB group if you're on FB? We have a couple in my area and I've gotten good recommendations for gardners and the like from there.

I got a couple of good recco's, unfortunately we had language problems and billing was going to pose some difficulties. I've set up another string of meets for next week and a try out for Sat.

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:31 pm
It's Craigslist...not Angie's list. Craiglist is pretty much a site for unlicensed cheap labor. A simple google search for lawn guys will pull up plenty of licensed options.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 7:07 pm
Yes, I'm quite aware of what Craigslist is. I was posting about a completely different Web page called Angie's list, which only deals with contractors, service providers (e.g. gardeners), etc. They charge a small fee to be able to access the listings, but there are real reviews of each provider to help you decide if they'd be a good fit for you.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 7:32 pm
doctorima wrote:
Yes, I'm quite aware of what Craigslist is. I was posting about a completely different Web page called Angie's list, which only deals with contractors, service providers (e.g. gardeners), etc. They charge a small fee to be able to access the listings, but there are real reviews of each provider to help you decide if they'd be a good fit for you.

Angies list inquiries have been free since Feb 2017. The green plan (free) is what I used. It gives you access to rated businesses. It works a lot better if you live in a metro area. (One of the reasons I quit my paid for membership years ago.) Unfortunately it wasn't the least bit helpful to me.

I've no doubt that I'll find the right match, I'm still waiting for quotes from 3 contractors who said I would get them after the holiday weekend. I'm good with that.

macadamia

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 9:04 pm
Try out for Sat? You mean shabbat? Probably you said he can come whenever he wants and he picked Sab for his convenience. Then I think its allowed. Im not a Rabbi just guessing

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 9:20 pm
macadamia wrote:
Try out for Sat? You mean shabbat? Probably you said he can come whenever he wants and he picked Sab for his convenience. Then I think its allowed. Im not a Rabbi just guessing

I'm not going to be here. So he'll cut or he won't on Sat.I won't find out until Tues a.m when I get home again. I doubt the rabbi has changed his mind from 5 years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics