Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Principals?

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 11:46 am
I have been offered a principal position and was wondering if there are any on here.

My concern is not regarding the job itself as I feel qualified to fill it. I am wondering about the experience of being a principal itself. This may sound like a funny question, but is it lonely on top? I'm coming from a position where a big part of the positive experience is the comeraderie amongst the staff.

Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks

amother
White

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 3:55 pm
Perhaps you've only worked with/for principals who lock themselves in their office all day and who make them selves feared by the teachers. There are other ways to behave. Principal and teachers are all on the same team.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 4:02 pm
Just so you know, being a principal is a more than full-time job. If you have little kids at home, don't even think about it - that is, if you plan on doing your job well.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 5:16 pm
Not the case for either of the above concerns. I was hoping to hear from principals as to what their experience of switching to a principal position was. Thanks!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 5:30 pm
It is not lonely socially as hopefully you will be working with a pleasant group of teachers but it is lonely professionally. You lose your 'privilege ' of being able to say what you think!/feel about anything or anyone in the school. You can never express if you think a policy is annoying , a parent is irresponsible etc... you have to constantly back the school and the people working there.
You also will be privy to lots of confidential information which cannot be shared or discussed. Can be hard sometimes.
Of course you can't ignore the fact that no matter how hard you try there will b some pple at some point who disagree/ don't like something you're doing. You have to make tough decisions.
So yes it can be lonely but incredibly rewarding!

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 5:35 pm
If you are assuming a principal position in the school you currently work in there will probably be a period of adjustment as your former colleagues will now work under you. Resentment from those who wanted the position. Resentment over new policies you might see a need for but will add to the work load of the teachers. But it can be a very rewarding position as you have the ability to help many people.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 5:52 pm
Thank you! Those are excellent points! I will be joining another school, not the one I am currently in.

Any tips to help with these concerns?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 6:50 pm
You need your own support system. It can be principals from other schools, a good friend who does not know your school so you can speak without names, other administration members in your school or someone else yiu can trust.
I try to get advice from qualified people. When I have a curriculum question, I go to a curriculum expert, for behavior question I ask a therapist, policies I ask a more experienced principal etc...
Most important is building a positive relationship with teachers. Give them acknowledgement for their hard work, their mistakes should be teachable moments and not a blame game, apologize if you make a mistake, be available when they need you and show you trust them.
And don't be afraid to take daring steps. Know that sometimes things won't go as planned. Use every success and failure as a learning experience for the future.
Good luck!

watergirl

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:00 pm
Do you have a degree in school administration? Its usually a masters... or do you have any degree at all? If not, continuing ed courses are a must. You'll feel much more qualified because you WILL be. Maybe the school can even sponsor your classes.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:01 pm
Scarlet amother, thanks so much! That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:04 pm
I have a degree in education, with some classes in administration. I definitely plan on continuing to take some additional courses. That is why I was not asking about the job itself, but specifically was asking about the experience of having the job.

I may not be expressing myself so eloquently as I am trying to type on a tablet.......

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:06 pm
I assume the hug I was given above is from an amother who is so excited for my new job!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics