Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
DUBAI
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:31 pm
Hi, has anyone ever been to Dubai? I would love to go, am slightly concerned that we, my husband especially look too noticeably jewish( typical chareidi look) anyone ever been or know anyone who has been? Thanks in advance

doctorima

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:39 pm
http://forums.dansdeals.com/in.....243.0

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:32 am
My husband has friends who worked there. Traditionalists, kippa at shul - but they didn't bring anything yid though I'm told of minyanim for chagim. I wouldn't recommend going in kippa around, maybe it's ok in the airport? But again, Arabic country... I'd say ask a local as I do for Turkey but there's no open local kehila afaik.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:03 am
Thanks for your replies, that link from Dan deals was very useful. We not going to look for Jewish life, more want to be there for two days to visit. My husband will wear a cap but will still look Jewish somehow.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:48 am
I think it's weird for frum people to go there, since they are no friends of ours.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:57 pm
This is an old post but I feel the need to let the oilam know that there is judaism in Dubai and if you're looking for it you are free to send me a message.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:47 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
This is an old post but I feel the need to let the oilam know that there is judaism in Dubai and if you're looking for it you are free to send me a message.

Cool! There was an article in a recent Mishpacha about Dubai that might be worth OP's looking into also.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:23 am
I can think of a thousand lovely tourist destinations where I'd rather spend my money than Dubai.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:13 am
My first thought was "Are you out of your flippin' mind?!"

I hear Ramallah is nice this time of year, too.

If you are going to any of the Emirates, and you take any medication at all, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BANNED ITEMS LIST!

I can't go there, because I take antidepressants. The second I step through customs, I will be arrested for drug smuggling, and get 10 years in jail. They will confiscate your passport, deny you access to your embassy, and deny you a lawyer for the first 6 months. Your lawyer will not be allowed to be with you at your trial.

If your family is wealthy, it is possible to pay enough bakshis (ransom) money to convince them to let you go, but then you will be banned from ever returning.

Also, do not be seen in a cafe at the same table as a man who is not your husband or father. That is considered adultery. See jail conditions above.

grace413

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I can't go there, because I take antidepressants. .

Otherwise you'd be heading there immediately, right? Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:06 am
DrMom wrote:
I can think of a thousand lovely tourist destinations where I'd rather spend my money than Dubai.

I agree. And they all start with Eretz and end in Yisrael. When I see some of these ads for travel tours I think how sad that people are so jaded and sated with E"Y that they'd rather go to xyz. But I'm sure I'm being unfair. (Including to OP.)
I think it's cool that Clarivka had this experience, though I hope that this was part of the cool part of her life, not the more challenging part.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:34 am
I'm the OP and I would still love to go to Dubai. Going to EY is not a vacation for me. It involves lots of obligations, meeting ppl. I live in Europe so it's not such a big undertaking or expense, so I do go as well

cnc

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:49 am
I know a number of people that went there recently. I thought they're crazy until I read the recent write up in the Mishpacha magazine. Supposedly there is absolutely no danger to Jews- just to Israelis.

chagru

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:00 am
I know ppl who went there and it's very safe . They are not anti Jewish, they dont recognize Israel as a state. They can't tell Jews from other religions, from what I've heard it's very safe and an amazing place

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:05 am
cnc wrote:
there is absolutely no danger to Jews- just to Israelis.

Oh, that makes it totes OK! Glad you cleared that up. Rolling Eyes

/sarcasm

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:59 am
I wouldn't.
Stories like these scare me - I realize it isn't becuase he was Jewish - but the laws are just different. They have their own set of rules.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/a.....home/

cnc

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh, that makes it totes OK! Glad you cleared that up. Rolling Eyes

/sarcasm

To clarify- you're not allowed in with an Israeli passport, once you're in with a non Israeli passport, Jews are treated no differently than others.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:05 am
My brother went recently and stayed there overnight. He was told at the airport to tuck in his tzitzis and wear a cap.

Sadie

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:56 am
Dubai seems like a fascinating place, and in college my roommate and I had a kind of fantasy plan to move there together, but much of their society relies on slave labor, both for domestic workers and for building those glamorous resorts and shopping centers. It would make me uncomfortable to take advantage of those things knowing that.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:30 pm
I've met several people that have relocated there for business and career.
It is a very segregated society the anglos live inter own small communities and do not ever venture away from he big city life. When they were describing the way they live it reminded me of a glorified ghetto... yes they have fancy shopping and health clubs but they never venture too far.

<these people were not Jewish just owners of large construction firms and teachers hired to live abroad and teach at schools for business types and embassy employees children.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics