Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Shipping the car??

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 5:53 pm
We have a Honda odyssey van. My parents live in Israel and they think we should bring the car, even though we'd have to pay for it. They think it would be a good idea. How many of you actually brought your car to Israel? Do you regret it? do you feel you made the right choice?
Also, since I have the Honda Odyssey van (about 2 years old), what happens if we take it to Israel and we need some repairs, do they have Honda repair parts?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 2:39 pm
As far as I remember, you will need a garage to agree in advance to service your car, not to mention the cost of tax and shipping. Cars in Israel are much more expensive than in the US, but not by as much as they used to be. However, gas is very expensive. If you can get away with a smaller car, definitely downsize.

I believe nefesh bNefesh advises against shipping cars.

We have a Honda Civic, no problem getting factory parts.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 3:36 pm
Definitely check to see if the Honda Odyssey is recommended to ship. Parts might be harder than other large vehicles to come by.
We shipped our Toyota Sienna. I am thrilled that we have it. It helps our family of 8 travel together. But dh is not happy. Shipping was expensive. Fuel is expensive. Insurance is expensive. Upkeep is expensive. You get the idea.
My dh would prefer to sell it and buy a 5-seater. Usually only a few of us ride around at any one time. And he said we would rent a 2nd car when we go on trips. But I know that means we'd rarely to never travel. And I can't imagine splitting our family for a long drive. It would only be half as much fun. And we'd miss waste most of the day at the rental agency. And the rentals often fall apart on the way to the destination.
So we will continue to disagree until our kids grow up enough to refuse to go on trips with us, our money disappears or I weaken and give in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions