Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Editing plagiarized content
Previous  1  2

PAMOM

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 6:45 pm
Seagreen, please note my posting that said length is only one of multiple considerations. My profession requires that I know the basics of when to check on copyright issues. Note that I did NOT say I am a legal expert. However, as a professional academic, I know that there are many situations where an appropriately cited source isn't a copyright issue. A primary determining factor in my field is whether the cited material is being used on a one-time basis for educational purposes. Look at it this way: professors writing academic articles do not need to ask permission to cite other academic articles. (We do need to use appropriate citation format that credits the original author without plagiarizing words or ideas.) If a professor writes a novel and uses lines from a poem not in the public domain as an ongoing pattern of chapter introductions, she would need to check with whoever holds the copyright to the poem. When I hand out a packet (bulkpack) as the course textbook, I've gotten permission from whoever holds the copyright to those stories and articles. When I publish an artcle critiquing one of the stories I teach and I cite sections as part of my critique, I do NOT need copyright permission.
BasMelech--I can't say whether "changing up" the original (as my students say) would satisfy copyright restrictions, but the result would still most likely be plagiarism.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics