Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Parenting class for challenging kid?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 11:53 am
Anyone have any suggestions for a parenting class for a challenging kid? He is my 3rd, and very sweet, with a heart of gold. However, there are also some serious behavior challenges that need to be addressed (defiance, opposition, argumentive, manipulation, etc....). I would like a class that I can listen to on the phone or mp3 to give me chizuk, etc... I've read books....but a class I can listen to would be great.

Again, he is my 3rd kid (9 years old) and my older two are nothing like him. All the "typical" parenting advice worked very well for them. This kid.....a whole different story.

P.S.: my kid takes medication, and it's very helpful. But I also want to work on myself and how I relate to him.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 12:11 pm
I worked on parenting as part of my sons therapy. I found it really helpful.

Seriously

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 12:34 pm
Following...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 12:47 pm
Seriously wrote:
Following...

Me too. LOL
I have the same exact situation. Child is on meds but older with All the issues OP mentioned.
I went for therapy, took every add course that seemed promising, read books and spoke to proffessionals.
Lmayseh!! on a practical day to day level, everything is just Whew

One class that did help me, and I still use it till today is (dont laugh), a method from an Isreali woman (who barely knows english...). She teaches you in group setting how to be bShalom and know how to handle even your most challenging child.
She brings out the best in your parenting skills and proves to you time and time again how you are dealing it right.
At the begining it did seem pretty controversial and very open minded to me, but now I can say with confidence that if not for her I'd probably have lost this child.

I took it when he was 3, again when he was 5 and can probably use a booster now that he's a teenager. My best spent money ever!!
She does not do it over the phone so I don't know if it's interesting for you.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 7:51 pm
Do you have a Children's Hospital in your area? We went to classes for DD, and she went to a group class in the room next door. Our insurance covered all of it.

DD was 9yo, and suffering terribly from anxiety issues. I didn't even realize that all the reassurring we were doing was just making her worse! It was immensely helpful to have a good therapist/moderator, and guidelines from professionals. Hearing other parents' stories made us feel a lot better, too.

DD really enjoyed the activities in her group.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)