Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you leave your kids with a 12 year old for two hours
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:19 pm
I generally get older babysitters, but sometimes it's hard to find someone! A 12 year old said she can come tonight. The kids (3 of them) would be asleep and rarely wake up in the night. It would be from about 8-10. What would you do?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:23 pm
It would really depend on where I am going. If I can be back home in 15 min in case of an emergency I would be open to it. If I am going to be any farther away then that then no it would make me very nervous.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:24 pm
I don't know where you're located, but IIRC, NYC recommends 13 and up. I agree with that age as the minimum, based on research I've read on the adolescent mind and how they respond to emergencies.
During the day I might feel differently if it was a quick 45 minutes with just 2 school aged kids to watch.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:25 pm
NO, I would not.
How old are your kids? I wouldnt feel very good leaving kids with someone that young.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:26 pm
No

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
I generally get older babysitters, but sometimes it's hard to find someone! A 12 year old said she can come tonight. The kids (3 of them) would be asleep and rarely wake up in the night. It would be from about 8-10. What would you do?

The question isn't what will happen if the kids stay asleep, and nothing goes awry. The question is whether she would be able to handle an emergency, chas v'shalom. There's a fire.
One of the kids gets sick, or is hurt. Now ask yourself, if this sitter had to get your kids out of the house quickly, could she?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:46 pm
My parents used to leave us home alone for hours when the oldest was 7, so 12 sounds fantastic! (DO NOT DO.)

Jokes aside, check the laws where you live before you do anything. Technically, with a really responsible 12 year old, things can be fine. But if the law where you live is such that this sort of thing can have your kids removed from your home if authorities found out, it's not worth it.

cip

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 4:58 pm
Other things to consider:
Do you have a neighbor who you can let know that you will be away for two hours and in case of a real emergency they can step in.
Maturity of babysitter. Not all 12 year Olds are the same.
Will you be in the neighborhood?
Leave clear emergency numbers...

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 5:42 pm
I would - but only if I knew the babysitter before and know that they are very mature and can handle things at least short term in case of an emergency, plus I would only be comfortable if I were only up to 15-20 minutes away or I had a neighbor that was home who was aware and ok with being there in case of an emergency c'v. I would also be sure to have a clear list of emergency numbers hanging (although thats good for any age babysitter)

For example I would trust my 12 year old brother to babysit. Hes very mature and would know what to do in case of an emergency. But I'd still only be comfortable if I were close by - If someone got hurt I trust him to call an ambulance and go with the kid to the hospital, but to sit in the hospital, talking to doctors and ect.... would be to much for him. If I were 20 minute ride or less away, that wouldn't be a problem since I could get there pretty fast. If I would have 5+ kids and they would all be up, then maybe I'd rethink this.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 5:50 pm
Currently I wouldn't, because they're 1 and 3 years old. But I would consider it with older kids, like 5+. Not sure that I would, but would seriously think about it at least.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 5:58 pm
I wouldn't unless I had a naigjborbwilling to pop in. That said I leave 2 of my kids with my 11 year old sister all the time.... But I make sure there is an older person home. She primarily watches them but there is someone else there she is very mature.

cnc

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 6:11 pm
No - only if there is an adult neighbor home in a multi family home or apartment building.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 6:16 pm
How old are the kids? I wouldn't if there were any babies, but 3 and up I think it's fine if it's really only gonna be 2 hours and not the whole evening.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 6:18 pm
I would if
It would be a complete emergency or
I can be back in a wink or
Theres an adult I trust next door or
It would be my own 12 year old very baporet son and I'm going to a function in town

I have older kids now but I do remember those days OP. Its not easy. I understand you.
My kids are in camp and I don't step foot out of the house if my husband isn't here to babysit.

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 6:25 pm
I would if
I knew the girl was very mature and has babysat before (siblings,etc)
My kids were 5 yrs old and up
I would be at most 20 minutes away.
And one of her parents will be available in case of emergency

JalapeƱo

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:26 pm
If it helps, I babysat at 12!
The family got a much better rate out of it
But I agree, it depends on the 12 year old

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 7:56 pm
I definitely would with a responsible 12 year old.

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:14 pm
Quote:
12 year old very baporet son
Scratching Head I know it's autocorrect, but what could it have been? And what does it mean now? Google seems to think it's a foreign word.

I'm definitely on the side of ok if neighbors are home & willing to cover.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:

NO WAY

marina

Post Wed, Jul 12 2017, 8:22 pm
I would sure, depending on the 12 year old

Why is everyone anonymous here?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics