Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child Holds Breath when crying

cek

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 12:53 pm
My Child is 1 year old. When he cries he hold his breath. this can take 15-20 long seconds. He used to do it once in a while. Lately he does it numerous times a day. It scares me every time he does it. Usually I wash his face with cold water this brings him back. After he comes back he is exhausted and tire. He did it once while in the Doctors Office. She told me there are kids that do it, some even faint and it can cause sometimes seizures. It scared me to death when she told me that. She said there is nothing you can do.
I am very nervous. When I go to my in laws or to my parents house, my Mother-In -Law and my Father Panics when this happens. Any Help .. Do you have or had such experience. Please reply.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 1:36 pm
It's normal.
There was a thread recently about this on which I and a few others gave personal accounts and our coping techniques.
(See below)

makehappy

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 2:11 pm
I had a niece like that. She was around that age. The Dr said they do it for attention. My sister ignored it. It also happened a few times a day and whenever I saw it I freaked out. But after a few months it passed. I don't think you have to put water. Just hold him calmly and wait for it to pass Rolling Eyes

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 16 2017, 2:47 pm
My mils kids would do that. They'd turn blue. Their eyes would roll backwards and they'd pass out.

My mil wpuld call hatzulah and run down the stairs to greet them.

When my kid did at her house she FREAKED. I calmly blew lightly in her face. Shes 2.4 now. She can still do it sometimes but never gets her knocked out anymore bh.

Just stay calm. They do it for attention or as a show of power. The calmer and more matter-of-fact you are, they quicker it'll pass.

My mils hysterics was what made it worse. She knew it but she couldn't help herself.
Hatzulah once told her that there is nothing to do, and she should just let them come to. Also, that it is not harmful to the child and they always come to qucikly enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics