Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wonder if she needs therapy

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 23 2017, 10:55 pm
DD (4) has a hard time regulating herself. She'll cry and cry over something really small, and whines a lot. She's become somewhat aggressive too, nothing big but I notice, she'll just go and hit or pinch her sibling or friend, seemingly for nothing.
She had night terrors for a while, where she'd scream at night and I had to wake her and calm her.
I'm wondering now, if this is something I can work with her on (I've been trying to) or does she need more? Would therapy like OT help her? Is it worth it to try and get approved for that (NJ so it would be hard) and if so what is the best way to go about this?

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 5:00 am
with an OT that specializes in sensory processing issues---highly recommend it---if you can learn to brush her and she goes for it---that could really help a lot!!!

also, have her stay away from food coloring/chemicals and if you can, lower her intake of refined sugar

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:10 am
I would look into behavioral therapy before OT, unless you have reason to believe the issues are sensory.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 10:56 am
Sensory processing actually makes sense to me- she is sensory in several ways.
What would behavioral therapy be like for a 4 year old?
I would really appreciate more info from imas that have been in similar situation.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:32 pm
If it might be sensory, please have her evaluated by an OT. It may not all be sensory, so behavioral therapy is worth exploring too.

In the meantime, try reading 'The Out of Sync Child' - great book on parenting kids with sensory problems.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 24 2017, 2:37 pm
From your OP it sounded to me like emotion regulation issues, but if you suspect sensory issues as an underlying cause your mother's intuition is probably worth exploring.

I am a clinical therapist but refer a lot of kids to OT as supplemental therapy when it appears to be a source of some issues.

Behavioral therapy would teach her things like anger or anxiety coping skills at an age appropriate level.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers