Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chocolate chips sink in cake

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:12 pm
when I bake a cake with chocolate chips the chocolate chips sink to the bottom of the cake. is there anything I can do to make sure the chocolate chips stay interspersed throughout the cake?
thanks

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:19 pm
I make sure they are at room temp and toss them with some corn starch. Others use flour.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:19 pm
Add the chocolate chips after you pour the batter in the pan & gently mix it in with a spoon.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:23 pm
I second the coating with flour or starch.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:24 pm
zaq wrote:

Not OP, but I have grappled with the same problem so I find this interesting. Why would this help?

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 5:57 pm
This is just a guess but I suspect the starchy matter either causes a kind of mechanical drag effect by making the chips themselves less slippery, or else when the starch gets wet as it hits the batter, it becomes gluey, sticks to starch molecules in the batter, creating a kind of starch network surrounding and trapping the chips in place.

This starch coating method is used for all cake inclusions like nuts and raisins as well.

etky

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 1:05 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Add the chocolate chips after you pour the batter in the pan & gently mix it in with a spoon.

I've found this to be the most effective way.
I don't even really mix them in, just gently shove them under the top layer of batter.
Truth is though it depends on the cake. Some batters support the chips better than others. Some pans even discourage sinking more than others. I've had success with loaf pans in particular.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 1:07 am
zaq wrote:

Agreed. I've never used starch, but have had luck just reserving some of the flour from the recipe and using that.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 1:08 am
zaq wrote:
This is just a guess but I suspect the starchy matter either causes a kind of mechanical drag effect by making the chips themselves less slippery, or else when the starch gets wet as it hits the batter, it becomes gluey, sticks to starch molecules in the batter, creating a kind of starch network surrounding and trapping the chips in place.

This starch coating method is used for all cake inclusions like nuts and raisins as well.

Exactly it is a matter of resistance and binding. The reason you want them room temp (at least) is to make them a bit less dense. It's the same reason why you would warm nuts then dust with your starch before including them in the mix.

I love food science.

jewwoman

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 4:00 am
The choc chips are too heavy. Try making the batter very aerated and adding mini choc chips

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 03 2017, 6:59 am
Why do chocolate chips sink to the bottom of cakes?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen