Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Three month old feedings

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:09 pm
Just curious how often and how much is a 3month old supposed to eat?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:27 pm
Nursing or formula?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:39 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Nursing or formula?

Nursing. as of now she nurses every 2 hours for 10 min...is it normal?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:

If she's not hungry and gaining weight, it's normal.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:45 pm
Standard is considered 2 hours between the start of one feeding and the start of the next. IOW, it doesn't matter how long the baby is nursing for. So if that's how you're calculating it, it's normal.

Some of my babies, at that stage were nursing every hour and a half.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:

Sounds normal for daytime. I would
Hope for your sake at night it's not like that!
Did you try feeding pumped breastmilk? I find that keeps the baby full for longer sometimes (he drinks more at a feeding, with less effort)

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:43 pm
Can you try every 3-4 hours doing 20-30 mins? This sounds like a lot to me and u might go crazy...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can you try every 3-4 hours doing 20-30 mins? This sounds like a lot to me and u might go crazy...

Baby unlatches after 10 minutes and doesnt want to continue... but then shes hungry again after 2 hours...

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
Baby unlatches after 10 minutes and doesnt want to continue... but then shes hungry again after 2 hours...

If you want a longer stretch between, you could try pushing her off for ten minutes. At this age distractions may start to work.
But then again, nursing on demand is also a value.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:02 pm
You can't compare to what others do. Baby stomachs sizes vary and the amount of milk you produce in one breast per feeding also varies from woman to woman.
If you find yourself nursing more often than others it could be you have less milk at a time and need to nurse more often to give your baby the right amount.

I nursed every 2 hours until my babies were 6-9 months. That was my normal. And it was ok. As soon as I accepted that this was my normal and stopped fighting it and trying to push off feeding my crying baby so that we could go longer stretches, it was fine.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
You can't compare to what others do. Baby stomachs sizes vary and the amount of milk you produce in one breast per feeding also varies from woman to woman.
If you find yourself nursing more often than others it could be you have less milk at a time and need to nurse more often to give your baby the right amount.

I nursed every 2 hours until my babies were 6-9 months. That was my normal. And it was ok. As soon as I accepted that this was my normal and stopped fighting it and trying to push off feeding my crying baby so that we could go longer stretches, it was fine.

Thanks! My pediatrician told me to try to stretch it to every 3 hours, but its not really working...so just wanted to make sure its normal.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:52 pm
All my kids did that, and they all turned out beautifully BH. They kept up that schedule until they were well into solids. Unless baby is miserable, let him follow his cues- his body knows what it needs.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! My pediatrician told me to try to stretch it to every 3 hours, but its not really working...so just wanted to make sure its normal.

From my experience, pediatricians are not always the best address for breastfeeding-related concerns and norms.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 06 2017, 11:57 am
just spoke to my pediatrician about this on friday!

she said for nursing babies, every 2 hours is completely normal.
your babys stomach is still prob very small and cant hold that many ounces, which is why your baby is unlatching after 10 minutes.

your prob just going to have to ride this stage through...

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 07 2017, 1:29 am
I used to give every 2 hours. My baby is now just about 3 month and I changed it to every 3 hours. It took a day if crying and my baby got used to the new schedule. I feel the baby gets better supply if it's every 3 hours versus every 2.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics