Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Any chassidish BP chedarim don't ask about internet/ smartph

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 1:22 pm
I'm looking to place my son into a cheder that won't care about internet at home and parents smartphones.
Do any exist in BP? Must be chassidish crowd.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking to place my son into a cheder that won't care about internet at home and parents smartphones.
Do any exist in BP? Must be chassidish crowd.

If you want a regular mainstream chassidish crowd then the answer is no.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 1:38 pm
No but judging by the amount of Amazon /Zara /gap etc boxes you see by the doors being delivered and the amount of phones you see you can safely assume that most people bend the truth......

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 1:39 pm
Wow.
Even chedarim like chasam sofer, Vien etc?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
Wow.

Chasam Sofer doesn't have a mainstream chassidish crowd and Vien is probably one of the strictest around by now.

Plenty of people and orders at the library, work, and kiosks . And yes, I'm sure that some people bend the truth.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
No but judging by the amount of Amazon /Zara /gap etc boxes you see by the doors being delivered and the amount of phones you see you can safely assume that most people bend the truth......

FYI I know a number of people that place Gap, Zappos and Zara orders by phone.

yogabird

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 3:12 pm
I didn't know Zara, zappos and gap have catalogs.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 3:37 pm
yogabird wrote:
I didn't know Zara, zappos and gap have catalogs.

They don't. But Zara and Gap have stores so people copy down item numbers if their size is not in the store. I have neighbors that order hoodies, pants and winter coats from Gap without having seen them. There are certain basic items that they make every single year. I also have a neighbor that orders Geox boys shoes by Zappos over the phone. She tells them the size and that she needs a basic black or blue shoe and it shows up the next day. I guess whatever works....

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
Wow.

It's Chasan sofer. Just so you know.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:00 pm
I know plenty of litvish schools that demand the phones to be TAG certified, it's not strictly a chassidish rule.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 8:24 pm
You can order clothes from a filtered smart phone. Just saying

Lovemykids1

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 9:29 pm
Try mosholo

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 11:01 am
Chasan Sofer is SUPER strict. They send out a 3 paged form about internet and tznius.
Moshlo is also very strict as are most chasidishe and frum litvish chedarim.

Veretzky ask that you filter your phone/computer and that the child doesn't have access to it alone but they don't try and control you like a puppet nor demand a certain crazy filter. It is in Flatbush though and it is $$$ tuition. And they are not very chasidish either.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:27 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Chasan Sofer is SUPER strict. They send out a 3 paged form about internet and tznius.
Moshlo is also very strict as are most chasidishe and frum litvish chedarim.

Veretzky ask that you filter your phone/computer and that the child doesn't have access to it alone but they don't try and control you like a puppet nor demand a certain crazy filter. It is in Flatbush though and it is $$$ tuition. And they are not very chasidish either.

Actually, mosholu asks that your internet devices be filtered and that the boys shouldnt have access to it.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
Actually, mosholu asks that your internet devices be filtered and that the boys shouldnt have access to it.

They also tell you which filters they "approve" of and make you quite crazy with the back and forth.
I applied there. I gave up half way through the process.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:33 am
I think all chedarim ask to have your Internet filtered and not allow kids access to it. Which I think is totally reasonable.
The question is how on top of you they are and how many forms they make you fill out.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:59 pm
Parent to parent: Filter your internet. Forget the school. It's the one tiny little step you can take to prevent serious mistakes (meaning if ch'v someone wants to desperately get onto inappropriate sites, there are ways to break thru filters-- it ain't foolproof)

We are a house full of technology due to a variety of reasons and I'm glad that it didn't take the school to tell me that they should be filtered...

And yes my kids use some of these devices (like laptop
For typing) and we have accounts for them to use which totally have the internet out and are time limited so the screen time is limited even when it's for legit reasons.

Ask yourself: why don't I want to filter my devices and what does it do to my kids?

My husband is a Menahel of a Yeshiva and I can't tell u how many of the Bachurim there beg him to help them work thru an addiction after wandering on their parent's unfiltered computer.

Don't do it for the school do it for you.

My sister sends to Stolin and she said they don't make you nuts because it's so so self understood that whoever is sending there would never ever have unfiltered internet. This is a link she sent me a while ago with the Stoliner rebbe's approach which may explain their policy.
http://matzav.com/the-stoliner.....logy/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children