Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
'shabbos mode' in Israel?

achayl

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 2:16 am
This is my first YT in EY. Seems my oven doesn't have shabbos mode. Does that even exist here? How does everyone in EY warm up food on YT?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 3:03 am
Shabbat mode ovens definitely do exist here - we have one. Very Happy
Other than that, a lot of people use an electric plata for keeping things warm or warming them up on YT.
In your case, oven without Shabbat mode, the problem is that the thermostat is going to switch the oven on every time you open the door and let in colder air.
A way around it is to put the oven on a time switch for the time that you want to warm up food but make it switch off every hour for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes you can put things in or take them out freely. Not very elegant, but a way to improvise on YT. On Shabbat, however, there are some who don't permit this because an oven might be a תא אטום

Shana tova!

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 5:07 am
amother wrote:
Shabbat mode ovens definitely do exist here - we have one. Very Happy
Other than that, a lot of people use an electric plata for keeping things warm or warming them up on YT.
In your case, oven without Shabbat mode, the problem is that the thermostat is going to switch the oven on every time you open the door and let in colder air.
A way around it is to put the oven on a time switch for the time that you want to warm up food but make it switch off every hour for 15 minutes. During those 15 minutes you can put things in or take them out freely. Not very elegant, but a way to improvise on YT. On Shabbat, however, there are some who don't permit this because an oven might be a תא אטום

Shana tova!

Mine doesn't have a real "Shabbat mode" but what I remember from YT growing up is waiting for the oven light to come on, which means it's currently heating up. If the light's off, you run into the thermostat issue you mentioned.

Shana tova to all!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 6:26 am
I spent several shabbes in Israel recently. Many use the plata, some on timer. I think my grandmother has a way with the oven.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 8:27 am
We use a plata. Never an oven

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 8:53 am
I use a blech like I do every shabbos

achayl

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 1:34 pm
BH using the hot plate worked out very well in the end. I used a times so it turned off from 10pm and turned back on in the morning so it wasn't on the entire three days.
I only needed to have everything cooked beforehand but that BH worked out ok.

Thanks for all the input!

chanchy123

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 2:59 pm
I have a shabbat mode on one of my ovens, not the other, but I don't have access to an outlet Ave can't leave it on a timer - so it's no good for a three day Chag (although I do prefer the option of using an oven on Chag, just not when is three days). I kept my Plata on a timer and used my stove top with a chagaz. Before we had this oven we would do check the thermostat light to see even we could use the oven on YT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen