Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which career?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 12:13 pm
Here's my story.
I have low self esteem and somewhat shy but I think I would make a good social worker or psychologist because I am a good listener, compassionate and people definitely view me as such.
I also might make a good dietitian for the same reasons + I am very into health and fitness.
I am not outgoing at all but enjoy social interaction to some extent.
Until now, I have been working in jobs-no degree required- where I just do exactly what I'm told to do. I'm worried that if I get a degree for another type of job where I have to make big decisions, I'm worried about making mistakes or not being capable- even though logically I know I am capable.
I very much want to help people.
Do I have to be perfect in order to be a psychologist?
How can I get over my fear of responsibility?
Any other thoughts?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 2:46 pm
I'm not sure about your question however to be a psychologist you have to have a doctorate so keep that in mind. Social worker is a different degree entirely often working with communities and getting families and children and seniors the resources they need. An MSW does not make much money and costs quite a bit. So not a good job if youre a main breadwinner or a partner breadwinner. Just some practicalities to think about. If this is all fine for you then I say if you have the passion- go for it! The schooling is not that difficult at least if comparing to a science heavy degree so that's a plus.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:30 pm
I'm one of the dietitians who often responds to questions about nutrition careers. You'll find a lot more info if you search for those threads.

If you are passionate about nutrition and truly want to build a career as a dietitian/nutritionist, by all means, do so. However, if you're wishy-washy about it, the payoff may not be there. The education is demanding, internships are incredibly competitive, and salaries are low.

If you are super-entrepreneurial or employed as a manager with a high level of financial responsibility, you can earn nicely. However, the way you describe yourself neither of these career paths sounds like a good fit... although you never know; I have developed many personal and professional talents as a dietitian that I never knew I had.

I am sure you could find your niche as a dietitian with your personality quirks. As for your fear of responsibility, I'm sure you will feel more confident as you go through the various stages of training, whatever career you choose. One experience builds on the one before. And in nutrition, unless you have your own business or are a departmental director, you rarely face Big Decisions.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:32 pm
Maybe I'm doomed to stay at these dead end boring jobs, then.
Or maybe I should gain self esteem then reevaluate.
Or maybe I should frame being a sahm in a new light and try to actually enjoy it.

relish

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:44 pm
What do you enjoy doing? As in, what activities give you energy? Try to do something that energizes you, and find a way hone that skill and make money off of it.

ahuvah4

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:45 pm
I know exactly how you feel. I could have written your post word for word. The only difference by me is that sahm is over, my youngest comes home late. I hope I don't waste my talents and being able to give because of self esteem or shyness. Hatzlachah on your decision.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:47 pm
ahuvah4 wrote:
I know exactly how you feel. I could have written your post word for word. The only difference by me is that sahm is over, my youngest comes home late. I hope I don't waste my talents and being able to give because of self esteem or shyness. Hatzlachah on your decision.

So what are you doing about it? Have you made any decisions?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:50 pm
relish wrote:
What do you enjoy doing? As in, what activities give you energy? Try to do something that energizes you, and find a way hone that skill and make money off of it.

Love working out but I'm too shy and reserved to be a trainer.
I love to eat healthy.
I love to read. (I'd love to be a librarian but getting a degree in that field is not so easy.)
I like to shmooze with people.
I don't have any talents (other than writing which I don't want to do). I have done editing/proofreading but it's not really enjoyable because it's very cyclical, same work over and over and I don't feel accomplished from it, just pressured.

Boca00

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 5:34 pm
What about a nurse? I have a friend with a similar personality, on the shy side and empathetic, and she works as a nurse. It is schooling, but not as much as a psychologist. There's lots of options- you can work in a school, office or hospital (once your kids grow up a little, maybe). Your being into health and helping people also might make this an interesting option for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics