Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can a top loading washer be stacked with a dryer above?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 7:24 pm
I've been under the assumption that only front loaders can be stacked and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a top loading washer that can be stacked with a front-loading dryer.
Anyone has that arrangement?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
I've been under the assumption that only front loaders can be stacked and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a top loading washer that can be stacked with a front-loading dryer.
Anyone has that arrangement?

My mother has this for many years but it's not ideal. The dryer is wall mounted, a huge ordeal, and it's not actually stacked. And while the top loading washing machine officially has enough room to open all the way, the lid doesn't stay open by itself because it hits the bottom of the dryer.
And I definitely would NOT do this for today's machines that only last like 7 years. When my mother mounted hers machines lasted for decades.

rosey

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:04 pm
We have this set up. We built a wooden frame that goes over the washer (about 20yrs old top loader), and holds the dryer (5yr old European model). The guy who built the frame left a small wooden stick, maybe the size of a large wooden spoon (which might also work) that I put under the washer lid to hold it up while filling/unfilling, since as mentioned it's too low to stay up. I also have to duck my head under the frame to check the washer drum to see if there is something I didn't catch (like a blue shirt that would accidentally be left in with a white wash 😖).

At this height I can just reach the dryer controls and hop up or use a small stool to get out the last of the dry clothes. It also happens to be the bottom corner of the dryer door is exactly at the height of the top of my head. 😲Even though it's plastic a couple good gashes helped me learn to watch out and close it before trying to get past. (Thank goodness for tichels!)

So that's my experience with stacking top loader.

This is pretty common where I live for those who have American machines. Some take off the dryer controls board and put it in reach, but I've only seen it done with machines about 20 yrs old, don't know about newer models.

Good luck

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:16 pm
We do, but I think it's one of those that comes as a complete one piece system.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:25 pm
If your ceilings are high enough you can make sure to mount the dryer sufficiently above the washing machine so that the lid can fully open, and then use a step stool to reach the dryer. The dryer can often be mounted upside down to make it possible to reach the controls. I would NOT want an arrangement where the lid of the washer could not fully open.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:35 pm
Not the best idea

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:45 pm
Before Sears closed, I bought my last stackable. It was a top loader, and on a metal skeleton above a dryer.

I chose this because I can't stand front loaders. I want to soak things, I want to use bleach easily. Front loaders don't lend themselves to this

There are also w/d units that look like they're stacked but are attached. If you buy one of these, make sure you can wash and dry at the same time. Some won't let you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics