Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Car seats when traveling?

SRB

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 11:46 pm
My family will be flying from Los Angeles to Monsey, Ny in mid-January for my stepdaughters wedding. I have a 3.5 yr old and an infant. I have only traveled with my little ones to visit my parents who have car seats installed in their car and pick us up at the airport. The car seats I have installed in my cars were professionally installed. What do people to about car seats when traveling? We need a toddler seat and an infant seat.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:03 am
I don't think anyone shleps along car seats. Borrow from someone for the duration of your stay.

twogees

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:06 am
I always travel with my own car seats since I know they were never in an accident before. Also, they are preset to my son's size and I don't have to worry about readjusting the height on anything. I have found it is easier to fly with a carseat because my son will actually stay seated the whole flight to my parents . Only 2 hrs as opposed to 6. Or you can see if there is some sort of gemach that you can borrow from for the duration of your trip...

ez-pass

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:24 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I don't think anyone shleps along car seats. Borrow from someone for the duration of your stay.

I ALWAYS shlep my own carseats. They go underneath (I curbside check them in if possible) the plane and I install them in the car when I get there. They cost a ton to rent and I like to have my own. Plus. They fly free. Just went to Florida with 3 carseats....

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:32 am
I now always bring my carseats with me. I started after one incident where I rented them and they looked like they had been in an accident, besides being filthy and pretty flimsy since they were the cheapest out there.
I use my toddler's one on the airplane. it is heavy but they do make some lighter ones that aren't too expensive. That way my kids stay in their seats!! And renting is so expensive!! Depending on how long you are flying for, it might make sense to buy a cheap and light one.
You can check them for free- but I was told not to gate check and to do it with the regular luggage since they will be handled better.

SRB

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:41 am
Thank you for the suggestions. It sounds like I should take my car seats along.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 1:41 am
We always shlepped our own. You can rent from some car rental agencies but you still need for the plane so there’s no point.

SRB

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:08 am
Op here...

To the amothers who said I need the car seats for the airplane ... I never used the car seats in an airplane before - while they are infants I hold them because I don't purchase them a seat and so they are considered "a lap child" and for my toddler (he will be almost 4) I just buckle him directly in the airplane seat. However, I have only been on an airplane with them for a short distance (1 hour & 15 min flight). The flight coming up, that I am inquiring about will be 5-6 hours... are you saying I need them both in car seats on the airplane? Why? I will be traveling with other family members (adults) who could also hold my baby. TIA!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:24 am
zaq wrote:
We always shlepped our own. You can rent from some car rental agencies but you still need for the plane so there’s no point.
you do not NEED a car seat on a plane. Many say its a good idea, but completely not required. We traveled a bit overseas when my child was that young, and we took a car seat along once. Biggest mistake of my life. I think a plane ride is much easier without it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 4:36 am
When we were returning to Israel from JFK, ds slept for 8 hours in his car seat. His sisters leaned their pillows against it.

juggling

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 5:24 am
Obviously overseas flights are a whole different story, but I have travelled overseas with kids quite a bit. Never paid for seats for under-2 (it's a lot of money, especially if you're flying with a whole family!), but once there was a seat open next to us, so I brought my one-year-old's carseat on boars. It was a lifesaver! Instead of holding a squirmy toddler for 12 hours while trying to supervise three other kids, everyone sat still in their seats! My toddler slept! If you are purchasing a seat in any case, a carseat can be so much more comfortable for a small child than an airplane seat.

As far as having it when you get there, I would agree with the other posters who say bring it. Once we hired a car service that was supposed to have a car seat for my toddler, and that didn't work out well. I would much rather have my own. Or, as someone suggested, buy a new, lightweight carseat just for the journey.

devash1

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:09 am
Last time we traveled they told us they would fit on the plane and it turned out it was too big. I had to gate check it and then it was lost for almost a week.

bargainlover

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:12 am
You must take a car seat for the 3.5 year old, and the infant. Do not rent a carseat, they usually give you the wrong kind old, expired etc. An infant should have a seat too. It's not safe to be held. There is turbulence etc and what if Chas vshalom something happened ??

cm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:19 am
You don't technically need car seats on the plane, but as others have pointed out, they can be extremely helpful. Also, if you are using a car to get from the airport to your destination, you will need car seats. You cannot count on borrowing (who has extra car seats and will be able to pick you up at the airport? I'm guessing a very small subset of people you know.) or renting, so bring them along.

In cars built in the last fifteen years or so, car seat installation is far easier than it used to be, but you might want to practice once or twice before the trip.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:25 am
SRB wrote:
My family will be flying from Los Angeles to Monsey, Ny in mid-January for my stepdaughters wedding. I have a 3.5 yr old and an infant. I have only traveled with my little ones to visit my parents who have car seats installed in their car and pick us up at the airport. The car seats I have installed in my cars were professionally installed. What do people to about car seats when traveling? We need a toddler seat and an infant seat.

I rent car seats when traveling.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:28 am
bargainlover wrote:
You must take a car seat for the 3.5 year old, and the infant. Do not rent a carseat, they usually give you the wrong kind old, expired etc. An infant should have a seat too. It's not safe to be held. There is turbulence etc and what if Chas vshalom something happened ??

She does not MUST take a car seat for both kids. That is just your opinion.

Raindropsonrose

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:34 am
Of course you need a car seat on the plane. It’s not like the laws of physics suddenly stop applying to children in the air; in case of turbulence, your child can cv”s get very hurt. I know they can be a pain to shlep, but if you care about your children’s safety on land, and wouldn’t let them travel without a car seat in the car, flying shouldn’t be any different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics