Home

AMA I'm a former farmer and Master Gardener
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Dolly Welsh









  


Post  Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:48 pm
Hurray for the fruitful hands of the Jewish gardeners!
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Mon, Jul 06 2015, 10:39 pm
Time for an update. It's been unseasonably hot here and that usually means a bumper crop of tomatoes. Unfortunately I'm lacking pollinators. Tomorrow I'll pull a full grown beefsteak tomato that hasn't got a single baby on it.The San Marzano's are going to have a very low yield same with the yellow plum tomatoes. Oh well I still have a couple of gallons dried San Marzanos so I'll just have to get by.

The French filet beans got a hit of the heat and they are no longer the fine straight beans I look forward too. But not to worry. I'll do some reseeding and all will be right with the world for a second and third crop.

The chard is happy very happy. I've been picking it daily and freezing it in 1lb lots. Indian mustard doesn't bolt in the heat and is also being frozen in abundance. There should be a fine harvest of Italian roasting peppers and Hatch chillis. The onions are doing well and I may harvest a Walla Walla early to see how it tastes. The garlic is happy. I won't have enough to get through the year but this harvest should last until spring. A friend taught me about making onion juice out of the green tops of the Walla Wallas and using that as seasoning so I'll give it a try come harvest time.

It's going to be a great year for hard squash, there are lots of baby delicatas, acorns and spaghetti squash. These are long keepers so they will be good eats this winter. I'm picking perfect cocozelle zucchini every day. I'll be putting some on the dehydrator tomorrow for winter soups and stews. Potatoes aren't quite ready but they seem to be doing just fine.

So what have I learned this year? Bees are hard to find and they tend to pollenate the tall plants like tomatoes, while the small wasps are pollenating the squash and beans that are lower to the ground. I have lots of flowers and no bees on them. Same with the sunflowers which are bee magnets. I plan on talking to a beekeeper that I know and see if he will rent me a hive next summer. That's the only way around this pollination issue.

Are any of you seeing lower numbers of bees in your area? What are you picking? What did you learn this year?
Back to top

water_bear88









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:27 pm
Just a warning to anyone who comes across this thread, the OP outed herself as a troll; please AYLOR about kilayim before planting different seeds near each other.
Back to top

zaq









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:41 pm
Which you should do even if personally acquainted with a poster since kindergarten. Don’t rely on halachic advice from Rabbi Imamother.
Back to top

rgr









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:41 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Just a warning to anyone who comes across this thread, the OP outed herself as a troll; please AYLOR about kilayim before planting different seeds near each other.


I guess I'm not the only one skimming through her old posts.
Back to top

water_bear88









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 1:44 pm
rgr wrote:
I guess I'm not the only one skimming through her old posts.

I have a weird interest in agricultural halachot and that post just always bothered me- I can't think why there'd be any more of a kula for kilayim than for shaatnez What

Zaq, you're absolutely right.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:06 pm
I don’t understand ....

Magenta yente- the op of this topic is a
Troll????
Back to top

zaq









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t understand ....

Magenta yente- the op of this topic is a
Troll????


Either that or someone hacked her account. In a quickly deleted thread she or her hacker confessed to being a secular woman who joined after reading about us on two other websites which have a great deal of anti-religious content (all religions). She didn’t explain why she joined, why she stayed or why she was leaving. She may have been trying to show (for our own good) just how easy it is to infiltrate the site.

That being said, I believe her gardening advice is reliable. But AYLMG (ask your local master gardener) or county extension cooperative if you’re unsure.
Back to top

watergirl









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:47 pm
zaq wrote:
Either that or someone hacked her account. In a quickly deleted thread she or her hacker confessed to being a secular woman who joined after reading about us on two other websites which have a great deal of anti-religious content (all religions). She didn’t explain why she joined, why she stayed or why she was leaving. She may have been trying to show (for our own good) just how easy it is to infiltrate the site.

That being said, I believe her gardening advice is reliable. But AYLMG (ask your local master gardener) or county extension cooperative if you’re unsure.

The thread is still up.
Back to top

tryinghard









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:49 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....;start=100
Back to top

imasoftov









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:24 pm
zaq wrote:
Either that or someone hacked her account.

What if we've got a serial account-killer hacker? No one would be safe!
Back to top

zaq









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 8:33 pm
imasoftov wrote:
What if we've got a serial account-killer hacker? No one would be safe!


No one IS safe. Safety on the Internet is an illusion more fragile and deceptive than the “illusion” of bridal-veil fame.
Back to top

Mommyg8









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:11 pm
zaq wrote:
No one IS safe. Safety on the Internet is an illusion more fragile and deceptive than the “illusion” of bridal-veil fame.


Unless you have a gun or sword that can come through my computer screen, I'm not sure what you're trying to say...
Back to top

imasoftov









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:21 pm
I'm a former landlord of Marvin Gardens.
Back to top

ChutzPAh









  


Post  Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:07 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I'm a former landlord of Marvin Gardens.


Lol!!
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Recent Topics

Page 8 of 8 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
Gardener Costume 3 Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:50 pm View last post
Reasonable gardener in BP?
by amother
4 Sun, Aug 30 2015, 11:04 am View last post
ISO gardener, preferably Jewish
by avimom
1 Thu, Jul 15 2010, 9:22 pm View last post
Anyone a gardener? I need a few pointers 8 Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:35 pm View last post
Reasonable HONEST gardener in Boro park
by amother
3 Sat, Oct 15 2016, 9:20 pm View last post

Jump to:  





Report offensive ad