Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Good rules for myself: how often on smartphone

Lizajen

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:02 pm
I believe that my smartphone is good and helpful for: texts, calls, my block Whatsapp, weather, email, etc... The sites that I like going on are: yeshiva world news, vos is neis, dans deals, Imamother, metziahs, mommypoppins, tehillim link...
I really want to curb how often I'm on my phone, checking the above, as it's such a time waster. What do you recommend? What are your self imposed guidelines?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 2:59 pm
I just got rid of my phone, best thing I've ever done.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 3:42 pm
I use an app that allows me to set a limit for how much I'm on certain apps and blocks me out of the app when the limit is up. But I believe it only works for social media apps like FB, Instagram, etc. There may be something similar that can lock the whole phone in general or things you want locked.

kiryat sefer

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 7:36 pm
I have the checky app

ellacoe

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:03 pm
I try and stay off my phone at least an hour before I go to sleep, and not check it in the middle of the night if I wake up. I also stopped keeping my laptop in my bedroom at night.

ShabbosBaby

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 9:37 pm
It really depends on your schedule, if you have kids at home, and what age your kids are.

If your board alone at home, I wouldn't recommend to focus on getting off your phone.
I think you should rather focus on getting into a hobby you like, like baking, drawing, organizing whatever...

If you don't have a tempting replacement how would it be possible to be less on the phone

I use my phone for everything, but my limit are "when" I can use it, and not which app.
When kids are around, I'm just not on my phone, unless I need to know what I should put on my kids (weather), and if my husband texts me.

When kids are not around...

If I desperately need a break, I use my phone for around half an hour, in any way that can possibly relax me and effectively tune me out of my pressure, so I can get back to work refreshed.

If I'm not desperate, I check on my "Today's to do" list hanging on my freezer. And I make a logical assumption if it's okay for me to be on my phone or not.

Good luck

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:48 am
- Try to deal with emotions rather than turning to your phone. Meaning, if you are feeling, sad, lonely, bored, annoyed- DO ANYTHING ELSE except touch your phone. You are building the addiction.

- Makes certain times you can check things. Like check E-mails, once in the morning, and once at night.

- Make timers, you can go on imamother for 20 minutes a day.

- Delete apps that you don't need.

- Limit your doubles. Like the news? Try to have only one or two news apps versus 5. Like games? Limit yourself to two or 3 of your favorite, and set timers on them.

- Make no phone times. Dinner. When you are with DH.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 4:56 am
I made a rule for myself long ago that when I am home with my child, I am not on my phone. Simple as that. She was getting upset and sad every time she saw me on it. I dont mean if the phone rings or if I have to send a message or the like. But the internet? Or games? Im just not on the phone for that while she is awake.
Can you try that? Other than that, I would just go on when you need to and if it is taking away from you doing other things, then figure out a time table for yourself. If its not, then I dont see what the big deal really is. I go on my phone, to play a game, and relax, after my child is asleep.
try those things and see if it helps you at all.

Lizajen

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 9:19 am
Thank you everybody. So, I'm definitely not going on my phone because I'm bored. I also, don't go on it in front of my kids, or others that I know. I've never played a game on my phone. I like the 20 min a day rule to include the websites that I've mentioned, that I like to check. The other area that I could use help with is: how often to check my texts, emails, voicemails, and helpful block WhatsApp. I like speaking more than texting, in theory. However, when I'm on the phone, I end up losing track of time, even when I set a timer, so I like the texting to save time. Also, often I will be expecting an important email, and I'll constantly check to see if it's come. The email might not come until 2 days later. What are reasonable guidelines for all of this?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 9:30 am
Lizajen wrote:
Thank you everybody. So, I'm definitely not going on my phone because I'm bored. I also, don't go on it in front of my kids, or others that I know. I've never played a game on my phone. I like the 20 min a day rule to include the websites that I've mentioned, that I like to check. The other area that I could use help with is: how often to check my texts, emails, voicemails, and helpful block WhatsApp. I like speaking more than texting, in theory. However, when I'm on the phone, I end up losing track of time, even when I set a timer, so I like the texting to save time. Also, often I will be expecting an important email, and I'll constantly check to see if it's come. The email might not come until 2 days later. What are reasonable guidelines for all of this?

2-3 a day, at a set hour FOR all. Let your freinds and family know that if they need something urgent they need to call, or call to tell you to check ur email or texts. I know many people who do this.

JenniferK

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 9:52 am
What app locks apps?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 12:24 pm
Just google some of the things you are saying and you'll find loads of apps.

spoiled

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 1:20 pm
icebreaker wrote:
I use an app that allows me to set a limit for how much I'm on certain apps and blocks me out of the app when the limit is up. But I believe it only works for social media apps like FB, Instagram, etc. There may be something similar that can lock the whole phone in general or things you want locked.

Which app is that?

icebreaker

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 8:04 pm
spoiled wrote:
Which app is that?

It's called In Moment. You get a 7-day free trial but then have to pay.

samantha87

Post Tue, Nov 21 2017, 9:57 pm
I turn off data and wifi when I'm at work. I can still get calls and texts, but no apps and no web. It's made a huge difference. DH leaves his phone at home when he goes to shul. Your equivalent could be leaving your phone on a drawer for a few hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics