Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How much does a Home Depot / Loews kitchen run?

Busymom104

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 11:19 am
Does anyone have experience with putting in a low cost kitchen? For a moderate size kitchen , what's the range for cabinetry and countertops? Appliances? Nothing supper fancy... just nice and functional. Also who helped you with the plans and did the actual labor? We are pretty uninformed...

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 12:14 pm
That's an impossible question to answer. I am starting a full kitchen remodel and have been researching my options for a LONG time.

Speaking very generally, the middle of the line cabinet lines sold by both Loewe and Home Depot is Kraftmaid - consider this the Honda of kitchen cabinets. However, depending on your door style, your wood choice; the kinds of cabinets you need and options the prices can be bare or not.

Some people swear by IKEA kitchens. There are even places that do custom doors for IKEA cabinet boxes. Some people don't feel that the boxes last long enough.

Depending on who is available, you might find that it is cheaper and better to have the cabinets done by a carpenter. As it turns out, that is what I am going for in order to get exactly the measurements and configurations I want.

Then you want to consider construction of cabinets - plywood versus MDF - pro and con. Full extension drawers; construction of drawers - do they have dowels for greater longevity.

The best way to proceed is not to rush into anything. Go to Loews but also go to independent kitchen stores that sell cabinets and bring a rough sketch of your kitchen with the dimensions. They will be able to tell you approximately how much the cabinets will cost.

Then of course sit with the various designs and ponder exactly how you want it configured. How many stacks of drawers etc.

Appliances run the gamut from plain white least expensive to the premium brands like Thermador, Wolff and AGA. The internet is a wealth of information on appliances as you can sit at home and look at all the different options and more or less price them out.

Countertops also run the gamut - cheapest is formica of course and then the more expensive stone or solid surfaces like granite, Caesarstone etc.

Houzz.com has a wonderful kitchen and appliance forum where you can get advice on all kinds of things including experience with specific cabinets.

But the best advice is to slow down and spend the time to research what goes into a cabinet - how you want to configure the cabinet - and then visit several places - most will draw up an approximate plan for you at no charge. If you want more accurate estimates, places will charge a nominal fee for someone to come to measure your kitchen and do up the plans.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 12:29 pm
Ikea has a kitchen planner tool on their website. You design your own kitchen including which door finish you want. Then you can see what your total cost would be.

That should give you an idea.

Busymom104

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 12:33 pm
Thanks for your replies -
We are looking into a buying a house but it has no kitchen. The owners ripped out the kitchen and we can't really afford much more than about $20,000 (excluding most appliances which can get from family in the business)

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 12:43 pm
Busymom104 wrote:
Thanks for your replies -
We are looking into a buying a house but it has no kitchen. The owners ripped out the kitchen and we can't really afford much more than about $20,000 (excluding most appliances which can get from family in the business)

So you need to take your measurements and get some estimates.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 12:56 pm
If you are looking at bare walls, you should really spend some time interviewing kitchen designers who know what they are doing because you can wind up with a nightmare in terms of it not being configured correctly to minimize steps and maximize potential.

For example landing spots by the oven, range and refrigerator. Appropriate clearances for appliances. Making sure doors or drawers don't open into each other. I have seen all kinds of horrendously designed kitchens designed by professionals - and I'm not talking aesthetics. I'm talking about basic functionality.

It's wonderful to have a clean slate although obviously to minimize costs you are not going to change pipes and fixture outlets but even then you can make sight modifications. For example I'm moving my dishwasher to the left of the sink because I'm left handed and also because I am placing a refrigerator somewhat where the DW was so I can free up space for wall ovens. But that's me in terms of thinking a long time about how I actually work in the kitchen.

You should spend time thinking about how you will walk from fridge to sink to stove - how and where you load dishes and pots and pans. Are you tall - are you short - those might impact choices. For example the standard height for cabinets above counter is 18" but I'm doing 15" because I am short and that gives me more ability to reach upper shelving. I've thought out whether my tall appliances will work with that height and they will. These are just examples of how I'm configuring to meet my specific needs - because I see this as a great opportunity. :-)

saralem

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 7:59 pm
For $20,000, you may be able to do IKEA. I used IKEA and am super happy. IKEA has contractors they suggest. The one we used was great. The contractor sent me to the counter company which was much less expensive than IKEA. ( for quartz). It’s a few hundred dollars a to have IKEA kitchen designer come out to your home. They help design and measure for every detail. The cost gets credited back to you if you purchase from IKEA. Definitely worth it. Good luck!

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 8:10 pm
I did my kitchen for $10,000 plus appliances , sinks, faucets , fixtures etc $5,000. Total: $15,000
This included paying contractors to rip out the existing kitchen, having them redo the kitchen, lay tiles, install lighting and switches etc, and all connections for appliances. It also included pulling plumbing. I went to a kitchen store owned by a frum person and his designer, designed the kitchen and quoted us a price with wood cabinetry and laminate countertops or granite. I could only afford laminate but chose one that has a granite look. I could always upgrade to granite when I could afford it. The installation was free when purchasing it through them
I love my kitchen and it was way cheaper than I expected.

Busymom104

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 8:16 pm
Bizzydizzymommy where do you live?

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 8:27 pm
Busymom104 wrote:
Bizzydizzymommy where do you live?

Monsey

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 8:29 pm
Consider calling in a designer to make best use of your blank canvas.

I have been doing residential and kitchen design professionally for over 10 years, and I also sell cabinets — not builder's grade (cheap stuff) but well-priced cabinets in both stock and semi-custom lines. If you are in Baltimore feel free to contact me: http://design613.com/

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 8:23 am
If you are not including appliances in your 20K budget, you should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating