Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Extra refrigerator not used most of the time

baltomom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 1:00 pm
I have an extra fridge in my basement that I used to store extra food in all the time, but now that I have a larger fridge in my kitchen I rarely use the extra one except for Yamim Tovim. I'm thinking that having it plugged in all the time is probably a huge waste of electricity. But if I unplug it I know it needs to stay open so it doesn't smell, and that's a hazard for my children.

Can anyone give suggestions of how to keep an unplugged fridge smell-free but also safe for kids?

TIA!

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 1:35 pm
It doesn't need to stay open not to smell. Place one or several of the special baking soda boxes meant for refrigerators inside. I have seen regular refrigerators retrofitted with padlocks on the outside. Even if you are not the diy type, I think this will pay for itself quickly because refrigerators do use a lot of electricity.

baltomom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 2:52 pm
Thanks. Are you suggesting that I put baking soda inside and leave it closed and padlocked?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 3:13 pm
Make sure fridge is really clean then open up a few boxes of baking soda and leave them inside the refrigerator. You can close the door. It might still smell a bit but won't be smelly.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 3:16 pm
It might not smell but when we did this the white plastic inside of the fridge turned yellow.
When I realized we left it plugged in but on the warmest setting.
Just don't forget to change the temp when putting food inside.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Dec 20 2017, 3:20 pm
Oops! I did forget to add as ra_mom said that the baking soda idea will only work if the fridge is perfectly clean first!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics