Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
A q about last seen on What'sApp

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:42 am
Does anyone know how last seen works on What'sApp? Specifically - I have last seen on so I should see other people's last seen. So how is it that I sent someone a message at 6.00am, they were last seen a 4.00am, but my message has two blue ticks indicating that it has been read?

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 6:56 am
It means it was delivered but not necessarily was the person on whatsapp.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:19 am
I thought seeing the message means it was delivered, when the ticks turn blue the other person came online and read the message.

Is that incorrect?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:24 am
I think last seen refers to when the person last sent a message

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:29 am
Last seen is when they last opened whatsapp, even if just to read.
Two grey ticks means the message was sent, two blue ticks means it was read.
Not sure what it means in your case, op. Weird. Maybe it appeared on top of their screen while they were surfing (it does on some phones) and so registers as read, even though they werent on whatsapp?

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:43 am
I have not found it to be accurate. I saw how on someone else's phone it was showing that I'm online while my phone was actually turned off.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 7:54 am
cnc your observation is very interesting

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 8:05 am
cnc wrote:
I have not found it to be accurate. I saw how on someone else's phone it was showing that I'm online while my phone was actually turned off.

Dh says if the phone is somehow still connected to the internet it will show online even if the phone is shut, in their pocket. (I saw this while we were walking together and his phone was away).

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 8:05 am
I have that with a relative of mine who gets their messages through the internet. (Aside from going to their phone, it also gets delivered to their computer online.) So last seen is when they were last on WhatsApp on their phone, but the blue checks indicated that they read it online.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:16 am
amother wrote:
Dh says if the phone is somehow still connected to the internet it will show online even if the phone is shut, in their pocket. (I saw this while we were walking together and his phone was away).

Thats not usually the case. Everyone I know has their phone connected to the internet throughout the whole day, but I can still see when they last visited whatsapp.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:30 am
I think there’s some way to read or reply to message without actually opening WhatsApp. Not exactly sure how but I think if the message comes up on home screen and u swipe it to right, u can read whole mes and it will give u an option to reply to mes. That may be why it shows read but last seen (meaning prob when WhatsApp was last opened) is earlier time.

babysmum

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:31 am
It is my understanding that it will show up online whenever you are online even if whatsapp is closed. For example if whatsapp is closed but you are reading ima it will show up as online.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 10:47 am
babysmum wrote:
It is my understanding that it will show up online whenever you are online even if whatsapp is closed. For example if whatsapp is closed but you are reading ima it will show up as online.

No, not true.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone know how last seen works on What'sApp? Specifically - I have last seen on so I should see other people's last seen. So how is it that I sent someone a message at 6.00am, they were last seen a 4.00am, but my message has two blue ticks indicating that it has been read?

you have last seen on. who said they have last seen on though?

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
you have last seen on. who said they have last seen on though?

But then it wouldn't say 4;00. It doesn't say anything.

acemom

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 8:24 pm
Quote:

Same.

Once when I misplaced my phone, DH tried to reach me but calls went to voicemail. He tried
sending me a Whatsapp message because he saw I was "online" but of course I didn't answer. He got worried that someone got ahold of my phone or something and sent a neighbor to check in with me.

I don't rely only on the "last seen" timestamp to know if someone is online.

cbsp

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 12:34 am
I've seen that many times if my phone locks while I'm in a chat (group or otherwise) incoming messages will be marked as read (ie. The sender sees 2 blue checks) but I'm not recorded as being online (so my "last seen" time accurately reflects my last real whatsapp activity) AND I'm not actually notified of the new messages posted to that chat...

rachl613

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 10:14 am
I think it's not 100% accurate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics