Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
General vent

amother

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 3:35 pm
Ok I am a highly disorganized person, not too neat, and cooking really is not my forte. I have a few little kids and cooking is nearly impossible with them, and my husband works weird hours so I really have to squeeze cooking in in the little time he is home otherwise it doesnt get done. My parents are arriving from overseas tomorrow (friday) and by the time they get to their apartment it will be after noon time. Shabbat is before 7. They invited us for shabbat. So my mom said she thinks last time she was here she froze some food in the freezer. She isnt sure. So supermarkets will be closing by the time they get here tomorrow... I decided to be nice and make a potato and zucchini kugel- not a big deal, but it is for me. I was very proud. Then I look online and see their flight is originating somewhere else and it was only going to be leave the 1st point 3 hrs late! So their flight would also be delayed a lot. My husband went to get cakes in the bakery and is going to drop off the cakes, kugels, and a welcome sign my child made for their door, after work (which is around midnight). But then I heard they werent going to be coming in on time so I figured I should make at least one chicken. So I took my shrieking baby to the kitchen and made an easy chicken.... easy if you dont have a shrieking baby. But first I am scared it came out gross. I am a really bad cook, my oven is wacked out, and I think I put in too much chicken soup mix. Ok... I put it in... And I put it in the oven around 10:00. It takes 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to be finished but its ok bc my baby is always up till at least midnight anyway. Well, I came out of the kitchen and see there is a message on my phone... I didnt hear the phone bc the baby was screaming so much. It's a message from my mom... the plane will be leaving on time. I guess they pulled in a new plane or something. So all that screaming, and chicken making was for nothing. PLUS... my baby decided to go to sleep at 10:15 and now I have to wait till midnight for the chicken!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am zonked!!!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 3:56 pm
is the morning a good time for you? if so, get some good crock pot recipes. you can make supper in the crock pot in the morning and have it done by suppertime. I have 2 crockpots for shabbos. one for fri night and one for the day. my oven is awful, so I don't bother with it most of the time. sorry you're having a hard time!

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 4:05 pm
what I do if I put ckn in too late thurs nite adn want to go to sleep, I put it in for an hour, so its at least very basically cooked adn then finish it off antoher 1/2-1 hour on fri.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 4:06 pm
yea I do cooking in the morning. But first of all I think I'm set for shabbat now, 2nd I dont have a crockpot. 3rd, even if I did, the only thing I know to make in it is chulent.
Oh I'll add that we're in the middle of a heatwave and we dont have AC. Also since the baby went in early I decided to clean the floor. Just when I started, he started moving all around. Just as I finished WAAAAAA!!!!! So he's up again. But at least the floor is done.

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 6:45 pm
never easy juggling too much ... and I think chicken is basic ... can't come out too wrong and always good to have extra food with guests - they get hungry ...

hang in there shabbos is coming Wink

btw - sit down for just a few minutes and drink some cold water ... unwind ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics