Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Classy mm can do in advance
1  2  Next

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:06 pm
My sister is getting married the week before Purim so I want want to do mm in advance. I. Also told my sister I will help her prepare hers early for her mother in law. Need ideas.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:24 pm
I can't think of anything you can do in bulk two weeks in advance, but I do have an idea for a new MIL one. I did this a while ago for mine and it looked great. I got a crystal cookie jar (I think I got it at "Odd Job") and filled it with a mixture of little home made cookies and pastries - pretty sugar cookies, tiny chocolate fudge tarts, linzer tarts... It looked pretty and very elegant.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:51 pm
The answer is to buy packaged stuff, or long shelf-life stuff, wrap in advance.

Not sure if my ideas fit your vision of classy, though.

Get an interesting shaped clear container, like a cylinder, a tall rectangle, or 4 small stackable boxes. Make sure it has a good cover. Fill with layers of nuts, chocolate, pretty candies, alternate colors and types. Cover, label, tie with a nice ribbon.

Kedem sparkling grape juice wrapped with a chocolate bar, or upgrade to wine and better chocolate.

A beer and a beer stein filled with pistachio nuts.

Order positiv brand salads for shalach manos, around $5 each, healthy, all you need to do is put a sticker on it.

Mazal tov!

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:02 pm
One of the stores last year was charging $16 for a stacking tier of plastic containers, each one smaller than the one under it and each contained various candies, bagged snacks, dried fruit, etc and each lid had a Purim sticker and it was tied with ribbon and made into curly cues on top. Basically it was four containers in graduating sizes with colorful lids and non-perishables inside.

For the MIL, get one of those little Ikea drawer sets:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....2480/ and they have plenty of other ideas, and fill them with chocolates, nuts, dried fruit, and some quality baked goods. You can personalize a lot of Ikea products by painting or decorating them.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:05 pm
why would you get drawers for a mother in law?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:06 pm
I would definitely get the crystal bowl and fill it with non perishables like chocolates. sounds classic and nice. and can be made in no time.

I usually bake something and freeze and package the night before.
many times a bundt cake and put it on a nice plate I usually get in grocery and wrap nicely and my mother in law puts on the table and anyone who comes in can be served right away. its pretty, cheap and classic.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
why would you get drawers for a mother in law?

These are little drawers that can later be used to hold little things and you can line them with something to make them look nice on the inside. I wasn't sure how classy you wanted to make it or if you wanted to do something yourself or get something ready made.

You didn't say how much you want to spend but some people go on those websites where you can buy fancy gifts made up for as much as you want to spend. You don't have to do anything but order if you are not looking to get creative.

If you are going to give the mother in law something expensive then get a fancy tray and fill it.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
My sister is getting married the week before Purim so I want want to do mm in advance. I. Also told my sister I will help her prepare hers early for her mother in law. Need ideas.

Mazel tov.

For MIL, a bottle of good wine, with a couple of wine glasses filled with (well-wrapped) chocolates. Presented in a box or basket, so it doesn't fall and break. Ikea sells inexpensive wine glasses, as does Amazing Savings. Or is you want to go expensive, Marquis is Waterford's less expensive line, and its on sale. http://www.waterford.com/shop/.....kware

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:04 pm
Ok here. By classy I meant simple and elegant. I rather not chocolate as I don't eat it. What else can I put with a bottle of grape juice or wine or water that can be wrapped 2 weeks or longer in advance.?

For her mil. Not sure Surprised

climbing613

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:09 pm
Nuts?
Something frozen? Like those bundt cakes someone said above?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ok here. By classy I meant simple and elegant. I rather not chocolate as I don't eat it. What else can I put with a bottle of grape juice or wine or water that can be wrapped 2 weeks or longer in advance.?

For her mil. Not sure Surprised

Why does it matter that you don't eat it? Isn't it for other people?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:57 pm
totally agree with groovy, it doesnt matter that you dont eat it. your giving it to soemone else

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:23 pm
For new MIL get a framed 8x10 of wedding picture, of Chattan and Kallah.
On top stick a nice bottle of wine in the middle and 2 cellophane bags on either side one with nuts one with dried fruit.
Then a note that says
Purim Same'ach
May we always share sweet times together

Surrendered

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:54 pm
I did for the last 3 years: buy large organza bag (purple/wine color). Put in tall sparkling grape juice (you could do the smaller size too), a nice bar chocolate (I created a pretty simchas purim wrapper) and another small food item/nosh. Tie a pretty bow with attached strings. Looks attractive, beautiful. You can do it much in advance. It doesn't take up much space, fits neatly into box.

Surrendered

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 11:03 pm
Another sweet idea For mom/MIL.
As well as teachers, Rebbi's (include $$$ of course)...
I made a delicious fruit punch (jello and canned fruits) in pretty bowl or beautiful crystal looking bottle with cover from amazing savings. (if you're interested in making an attractive presentation, I can explain a more detailed idea I once made). It's simple to prepare and can make it several days in advance but needs to be refrigerated.

imamother153

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 1:28 pm
Chocolate logs are very trendy now Easy to make and can be prepared in advance. Just add a small liquer at the side and place it in a nice box.

For the mil, I made for my mil a praline ice cream in a small square bronze color flower pot. I put crushed chocolate Oreo cookies on top to look like soil and placed a nice fake bunch of leaves in the center. I had a nice picture frame matching color to the pot w a nice chusson kalla picture inside. Place both on a wrapped Styrofoam or tray. Wrap w cellophane and a bow. If u want u can add a wine nuts and chocolate but I don't think its necessary.
I made it years ago but I think it would still look pretty.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 2:03 pm
What are chocolate logs and how do u make them?

imamother153

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:37 pm
studying_torah wrote:
What are chocolate logs and how do u make them?

A mix of melted choc w praline paste and/or peanut butter or hazelnut cream. U can then add a choice of rice crispies, brittle, nut crunch, crushed oreos or whatever flavor u wish to create. U can do them in a 2 tone version as well.
U make them in a mold either mini log for mishloach Manos or a big one for Simchas. U can do them in a pop mold so its a choc pop version. I've seen them done in a square shape w a pop stick placed in center top. Decorate them as U wish and they look pretty and are really good.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:53 pm
imamother153 wrote:
Chocolate logs are very trendy now Easy to make and can be prepared in advance. Just add a small liquer at the side and place it in a nice box.

For the mil, I made for my mil a praline ice cream in a small square bronze color flower pot. I put crushed chocolate Oreo cookies on top to look like soil and placed a nice fake bunch of leaves in the center. I had a nice picture frame matching color to the pot w a nice chusson kalla picture inside. Place both on a wrapped Styrofoam or tray. Wrap w cellophane and a bow. If u want u can add a wine nuts and chocolate but I don't think its necessary.
I made it years ago but I think it would still look pretty.

I got a similar one one year. A small pineapple in an inexpensive flower pot with Cocoa Puffs or cocoa pebbles filled in around it leaving only the top sticking out.it looked like a potted plant.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:33 pm
I always do the same thing in advance:

Nice baggies
A small box of hamantaschen which they have on sale in most stores (typically 2.99 each)
A bottle of sparkling grape juice (also 2.99 each).

It is simple, classy and costs up to $6.50 a piece.

you can also make a "cheaper" version (the hamantaschen with a small bottle of regular grapejuice) for some people to keep the costs down.

Everybody appreciates both items, and its very simple and easy to do. It is by no means a "cheap" mishloach manos (meaning not classy), but it isn't overdone either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics