Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
In laws coming- need diabetic chicken recipe

rise above

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 2:56 pm
My fil is diabetic and my mil is on atkins, and they're coming to me for shabbos for the first time Help

The problem is that I'm a major "cook with sugar" kind of person and I don't even have one recipe that doesn't call for brown sugar or ketchup or some other sweetner.

Do any of you have any good chicken (or cutlet) recipes that are sugar free or really low on sugar?

Also, I'm stuck thinking of side dishes. I normaly make sweet potato pie, apple crisp, zucchini muffins.. all of which are out of the question here.
Any suggestions?

Lani22

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:07 pm
I would just make a roast chicken. Make a paste with onion powder, garlic powder, paprica, pepper and any other spices you like. Add a little water untill its a paste like consistency and rub all over chicken. I would throw some fresh garlic around the chicken and let them roast with it. Gives a great flavor.
Now for side dishes- The Atkins diet restricts all carbs. Ask you MIL if she is allowed to eat vegies. if so just make a tossed salad and maybe Roasted vegies.
For you FIL you can swap splenda for sugar and sugar free ketchup for ketchup- Heinz makes one- should work for some recipes.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 3:29 pm
they might want to bring at leaast some of their own food.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 4:09 pm
you can marinade chicken cutlets in fat free, sugar free italian dressing and bake or grill. that usually gets a good reaction. as for side dishes, undressed salad is fine. I was always taught that a full meal is a protein, veggie, and starch, so make a starch and the dieter can avoid it. rice is probably fine.

you can also try a stir fry, atkins should have no problem with frying. shredded chicken with veggies and some sort of sauce is fairly basic. find out if soy sauce is ok for your in-laws, it's easy to use.

rise above

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 4:13 pm
thanks for the responses.
I think my mil isn't so strict on her diet on shabbos- so I can make something with carbs, but just no sugar.

mummiedearest, do you think I can try the italian dressing on regular chicken? maybe with corn flake crumbs on top?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 4:28 pm
sure the dressing will work on regular chicken, but I usually do it on cutlets. as for bread crumbs, you can try, it probably won't be bad, but I can tell you that I've always gotten compliments on it without. btw, if you do the cutlets, it tastes better cold than the regular chicken does. I've made it for shabbos day with the intention of serving cold.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 5:18 pm
Side dishes:
roasted potato wedges
ratatouille
regular lettuce salad
potato kugel
sweet potato pie without sugar
broccoli salad
avocado salad

As for chicken, I'd just make a roasted chicken with spices and maybe some sauteed onions on top.

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 5:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
they might want to bring at leaast some of their own food.

When you invite someone to your house especially in laws or parents, you don't ask them to bring their own food, thats a tad rude!

myomi

Post Tue, Aug 21 2007, 6:17 pm
I have a really good roast chicken recipe(provided someone knows how to carve it).
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 onion cut in 4(u can also add whatever fresh spices u want,also garlic)

wash and pat dry
mix spice rub together and run over chicken(ontop as well as under the skin),u can even add a tiny bit of oil onto the chicken before to help the rub adhere better,but it doesnt make a difference if you dont do it.
stuff the onion(etc) in the cavity.
cover and marinade for 4 hrs or even up to overnight(I once read if u leave it uncovered it created a crisp skin when u bake it,so its your choice)
preheat oven to 250 degrees u can even place potatoes and carrots around the chicken and cook at low temp for 4 hrs.uncovered.
it may take some time to cook,but its delicious!

Ima'la

Post Thu, Aug 23 2007, 3:31 am
as an alternative to roast chicken: lemon garlic chicken - lemon juice, garlic, a little pepper....some dill or parsley if you're so inclined. If you want to go all out, use fresh lemons and mince fresh garlic....on a lazy day use lemon juice and garlic powder. (I usually use lemon juice & fresh garlic.)

mommyX2

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 6:16 pm
do you have the purple lubavitz cookbook. they have this delicious glazed chicken recipe. I put potatoes with chicken. then mix: oil (can use olive), garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, then just pour on top, cover and bake it. it has tons of flavor. if you don't have the cookbook or can't find this recipe...let me know and I'll look it up for you.

rise above

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:10 am
Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up spreading a mixture of mustard, mayo and horseradish sauce and covering it with a mixture of cornflake and bread crumbs. It was delicious Smile
For side dishes I made zucchini tomato gratin (kbd)- which was a real hit, spinash lukshen kugel and potato kugel.
BH it all worked out great.

lubmommy

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 10:08 am
By the way, it's not only sugar that diabetics need to watch - it's all carbs because they are all converted into sugar in the body. So, potato kugel and lukshen kugel in addition to challa really piles on the carbs. Also, white potatoes and lukshen made with white flour are very high on the glycemic index - they raise the blood sugar quickly.
A good alternative is a veggy kugel made with onions, veggy (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini,spinach), eggs, onion soup mix. Very few carbs and delicious! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey