Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why don’t (most) frum people have dogs/pets?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:00 pm
I know if only a couple...why is it so shunned in our community? I have a dog and I think people are really missing out by not having a pet to love, and for the kids to enjoy.

enneamom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:02 pm
Aha! Now THIS is a fun topic!

rubs hands together gleefully

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:06 pm
People are against having a tamei animal in the home. Personally for me, I can't deal with the amount of work it entails when you have so many kids. Each dog is like taking care of two toddlers at once.
Also, many holocaust survivors and their descendants , have an extreme fear of dogs since the Nazis let their dogs loose to attack the Jews.

AT this point we have , chickens. But they live outdoors.
My kids love love dogs and each would have one of their own if I allowed it , but I'm not up to it.
My MIL does fostering for dogs until they get adopted, so my kids get to have their share of doggie time when they visit her.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:11 pm
I have 7 children, I work full time, and I’m allergic to animal hair. That’s my excuse. I simply cannot find more room in my heart or my schedule for anything.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:15 pm
Because we invest most of our emotional energy elsewhere- namely our kids, husbands, parents, family, Parnassa, Yom Tov, household, cooking, shabbos, dinner etc.

No one is against it per say- we just don’t have the time!

enneamom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:16 pm
I think the tamei animal reason is specific to the Lubavitch community. Both as a child and an adult, I've known many families with smaller pets like birds, hamsters, rabbits, turtles, etc. Dogs and cats are more of a rarity, but not unheard of.

We love animals in our family. We stalk and ask to pet "doggies" on the street, that type. LOL Kids are constantly begging to get a pet. But frankly, we don't have the time, space or money for one.

I think that's the crux of the issue: in the non-Jewish world, with most families having 0 to 1.5 kids, it's so much easier to have a pet. The companionship a pet brings is also much more needed. Pets often take on the role of child or sibling substitute. In the frum world, even families that don't have the infamous animal phobia and do actually appreciate animals simply don't find it needed or practical to have a pet.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:17 pm
Many frum people will use the extra energy - if they have it- on children, rather than an animal. I know this is true for me. Perhaps a low maintainance pet, like a goldfish, bird, or hamster, would be manageable (and is a lot more common in frum circles)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:18 pm
I love animals, especially dogs, and always dreamed of a home with lots of pets. Yet we have zero. Part of me still wants a dog, but it's not happening.

Look, they're a lot of work - and it would ultimately fall on me. It's more mess, and another mouth to feed.

We just spent last shabbos eating lunch at a friend's house. The food was lovely, the conversation was lovely... everything was great except for listening to her poor dog bark his brains out and scratch on the door for hours. Since there were kids there who were scared, the dog got locked up. Poor thing. It broke my heart to listen to him.

But that would be our dog too, week after week. We entertain a lot, lots of little kids here, and at least half are terrified. I couldn't subject a dog to that. Nor could I make my guests cower in a corner because I wont put the dog away.

Bottom line - it just doesn't work with our lifestyle.

enneamom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:21 pm
Off topic, but what are some of the more unusual pets/pet situations you've come across in the frum world?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:25 pm
enneamom wrote:
Off topic, but what are some of the more unusual pets/pet situations you've come across in the frum world?

We have a macaw. Don’t ask. Not my mishegas. I tolerate it because I don’t have to take care of it.

enneamom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
We have a macaw. Don’t ask. Not my mishegas. I tolerate it because I don’t have to take care of it.

I'm jealous! Does it talk?

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:38 pm
We asked our Rabbi about getting a dog. He said that if even one neighbor is uncomfortable, then we can't get one. I live in a chassidish area with neighbors with extreme phobias of dogs.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:53 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Because we invest most of our emotional energy elsewhere- namely our kids, husbands, parents, family, Parnassa, Yom Tov, household, cooking, shabbos, dinner etc.

No one is against it per say- we just don’t have the time!

This.
Dogs and cats are not cheap to have. Many frum families have many kids = tuition, groceries, YT, expenses...dogs just don't come into the picture.

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:54 pm
[quote="enneamom"]I think the tamei animal reason is specific to the Lubavitch community. /quote]

Huh? Lubavitcher are one communit where they DO have pets! I know a few personally!

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:55 pm
Squishy wrote:
We asked our Rabbi about getting a dog. He said that if even one neighbor is uncomfortable, then we can't get one.

So that’s the criteria? What if your neighbors are uncomfortable because one of your kids is too loud?????

Petra

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:00 pm
Dogs can be a lot of work, many times. Our dog, though, requires a little. He has a yard to go out in so we don't have to take him for a walk. He walks himself outside. We do have to clean up after him. So gross! Still can't seem to get used to it. The kids help too. It's a "chore". There are vet bills, flea medicine, grooming bills. It adds up. He does bring plenty of comfort to us though. Everyone adores him. He is good with guests. He's the whole family's "emotional support pet". Compared to the amount of tuition we pay, his expense is minimal and to us, worth it.

There are simply those of us who like pets and those of us that don't. My husband and I grew up with pets and we are "pet" people. Simple.

enneamom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:01 pm
[quote="shiaeisen"]
enneamom wrote:
I think the tamei animal reason is specific to the Lubavitch community. /quote]

Huh? Lubavitcher are one communit where they DO have pets! I know a few personally!

"...The Lubavitcher Rebbe, therefore, strongly suggested that children not be surrounded by animals the Torah calls impure (the Torah does not use the terms Kosher and un-kosher – meaning “fit” or “unfit”, rather tahor and tamei – meaning [spiritually] “pure” or “impure”), due to their negative energies and their often violent natures. In fact, The Rebbe was so concerned about this that he even discouraged surrounding a child with pictures and images of such animals."

http://www.askmoses.com/en/art......html

Last edited by enneamom on Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:01 pm
I am a life long dog owner as well as many other small pocket pets. I cant inagine my life without my dog and I dont want to try. I dont feel it takes a lot of work, and we have to walk her because we dont have a fenced yard! We all take turns, it forces us to get exersize and there are many other health benefits. Its not work if you love it. And we love it. So no work.

As to the fear, its taught. The nazi excuse only works for ashkenazi jews who were in Europe. I dont think that makes up even a third of American Jews today. So many American Jews, like my family, immegrated to this country before WW1. No nazis. No dogs. And sefardim - also no nazi dogs.

I have had neighbors teach their kids to stay away from my “scary dog who bites”. Ummm no she doesnt. She literally doesnt even bark. So what do you think your kids will learn if you tell them to stay away from “scary dogs”??!!

Re: cost - I spend $25 for 2 months worth of dog food. She is short hair and doesnt need it to be cut. We bathe her ourselves. No grooming cost. Vet is maybe $100/year. Years have gone by when the only time we see the vet is for shots - and those arent expensive.

You dont have to like them. I dont care - but please dont brainwash your kids.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:06 pm
Cats take so little work. I have one, she always has dry food, I scoop the box once a day. Three minutes, max. My son loves her, in return she sleeps on his head.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:07 pm
Petra wrote:
Dogs can be a lot of work, many times. Our dog, though, requires a little. He has a yard to go out in so we don't have to take him for a walk. He walks himself outside. We do have to clean up after him. So gross! Still can't seem to get used to it. The kids help too. It's a "chore". There are vet bills, flea medicine, grooming bills. It adds up. He does bring plenty of comfort to us though. Everyone adores him. He is good with guests. He's the whole family's "emotional support pet". Compared to the amount of tuition we pay, his expense is minimal and to us, worth it.

There are simply those of us who like pets and those of us that don't. My husband and I grew up with pets and we are "pet" people. Simple.

Yes! The emotional support that I get from my dog is invaluable. She gets it. She gets me. I cant explain it to someone who isnt a dog/cat person, but I’m sure you get it.

You know, Adam named dog kelev because its k lev. Like a heart. Thats my dog.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics