Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lower Merion & Bala Cynwd, PA

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:22 pm
Hi. Someone suggested I look into the communities in PA as a possible relocation. Do these two neighborhoods boarder eachother? Are they considered part of the same Jewish community? I'm MO and dh is more Yeshivish. We are looking to relocate to a less expensive area. We currently live in Los Angeles. We want to purchase a nice big house for 600-800K in a warm, friendly, established community. Diversity is welcomed. We have older/out of the house kids, but still at home a toddler boy and baby girl so we want a community with good (right wing) MO schools including
high school. My husband works as a financial planner mostly to the wealthy so we need to live in an area where there is a clientele for him - are these areas near wealthy metropolitan areas? I don't know anything about the area so tell me everything you know!

Thank you!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:28 pm
Sounds like you guys would fit right into Bala Cynwyd. It's a really great community.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:30 pm
Yardley is very affluent to live or for client base

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:38 pm
I don't live in those areas but have close family there and have spent a lot of time there. The neighborhoods do border each other. They are very modern orthodox but there is a kollel there and the kollel families live in the area so I guess there must be a yeshivish presence somewhere. It is a really nice community and Lower Merion is a wealthy community but I don't know how big it is and how much wealth there is in the surrounding area so someone else can answer that.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:15 pm
Bala/Lower Merion borders the city of Philadelphia and is definitely affluent--it's part of the "Main Line" of well off suburbs. It's mixed, I'd say leaning more MO, but that might be my personal bias. You might also want to look at the nearby Wynnewood neighborhood (almost adjacent, just too far for an easy walk--has its own shul)

Technically speaking Bala Cynwyd is a part of Lower Merion Township, but there's a neighborhood called Merion Station that's right next to Bala. It's really one community. There's also a sizable non-Orthodox Jewish community there and the town is known for its prestigious public school system. Price wise I'd say you would certainly find a house, but it is an older neighborhood and you may not get everything you want. Regular MLS listings will give you a good idea of what you can get for the money.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:03 pm
I don't know a lot about the neighborhoods you mentioned, but based on what you mentioned you're looking for, I think you'd be very happy in Edison/Highland Park.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 8:14 pm
Sounds perfect for you actually.bala cynwyd is part of lower marion

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:51 pm
OP here. Thank you for the replies. This is helpful information. I'm interested to learn more. I'd like to look up real estate on the computer. Can someone give me the zip code for the for the Jewish community, and give me the bordering streets to the north east south and west for where the Jewish community lives.

What are the schools in the area? Can anyone tell me which shul I should look into? Can you tell me about the culture of the community? Anything to give me a better picture and feel for the community and place.

TIA!

OutATowner

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 11:28 pm
http://lowermerionsynagogue.org

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 3:31 am
Based on your description it sounds perfect for you.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thank you for the replies. This is helpful information. I'm interested to learn more. I'd like to look up real estate on the computer. Can someone give me the zip code for the for the Jewish community, and give me the bordering streets to the north east south and west for where the Jewish community lives.

What are the schools in the area? Can anyone tell me which shul I should look into? Can you tell me about the culture of the community? Anything to give me a better picture and feel for the community and place.

TIA!

19004 + 19066
Elementary Schools - Torah Academy and Politz, there is also the Lab School more to the Left. High Schools - KTA (Bais Yaakov type), the Mesivta for boys, and Kohelet, which is coed.There is a range of people and types.
Shuls from Right to Left: the Philadelphia Community Kollel. Young Israel of the Main Line, Lower Marion Synogogue, and Chabad somewhere in the middle.
It is pretty out of town - very few kosher restaurants/groceries but you can get plenty of Kosher in the regular groceries. It is upperclass. 2-3 hours from NYC depending on traffic. Pretty friendly and super diverse.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 3:32 pm
Op here. Thank you for all the info! This is very helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating