Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Spending too much on furniture

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 6:42 pm
We are having my parents plus other family members for pesach. In total there will be 15 people in the house plus more people for meals. BH we have enough sleeping space but we have only one couch and one love seat. I'm worried that people won't have enough room to sit and relax. I ordered another couch plus armchair and it comes out to close to $1000. I spent much less than that on our first set but it was am online sale and took 6 weeks to arrive. Since time is an issue I need to buy locally. I love second hand furniture but I'm not comfortable with buying used couches.

I'm nervous spending so much on furniture right before pesach when our expenses are so high already. Im thinking of canceling the order (it wasnt delivered yet). What other options are there to make sure all our guests are comfortable? (I guess I could tell my kids the couches are off limits while there are guests in the house.)

Miri7

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:01 pm
Did you look into renting furniture? From a place that does more long term rentals?

I’d feel pretty ok with a leather or pleather sofa from a rental place since I could clean it

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:03 pm
Folding chairs do the job when there are so many people around. When I had 25 family members sleeping by me for the first time, we didn't have enough beds. I had invested in two high risers at that time but if you don't need the couches , I can't see why you need to buy more. I have one three seater couch and I've had over 25 people over at a time at my house on more than one occasion and it was totally ok. There are dining room chairs, kitchen chairs, folding chairs , and if the weather is nice outside, out door chairs and stairs . Kids don't sit still and sit on the floor a lot if they sit at all. I think you can cancel your order.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:07 pm
I wouldn't buy another couch in such a situation, unless I was planning on buying it anyway.
In such situations, a few people sit on the couch you already have, and the others pull over chairs to join in a circle.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:13 pm
I ordered the armchair to put in my mother's bedroom because she can't deal with constant kids chaos and needs her down time.

I really don't need the armchair but I want my mother to be comfortable.

The couch I could probably do without.

Thanks people for helping me think through this!!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:
We are having my parents plus other family members for pesach. In total there will be 15 people in the house plus more people for meals. BH we have enough sleeping space but we have only one couch and one love seat. I'm worried that people won't have enough room to sit and relax. I ordered another couch plus armchair and it comes out to close to $1000. I spent much less than that on our first set but it was am online sale and took 6 weeks to arrive. Since time is an issue I need to buy locally. I love second hand furniture but I'm not comfortable with buying used couches.

I'm nervous spending so much on furniture right before pesach when our expenses are so high already. Im thinking of canceling the order (it wasnt delivered yet). What other options are there to make sure all our guests are comfortable? (I guess I could tell my kids the couches are off limits while there are guests in the house.)

Do you need another couch and chair? Or are you squeezing it in for seating space, but you're not going to use it. If the former, and you actually like the stuff you purchased, go for it. Otherwise, NO. Not worth it. People can drag in dining room chairs or folding chairs. Everyone will be fine.

I'll mention that's not a lot for a couch and chair. You could do better at Bob's Discount Furniture, but the quality is often bad.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:25 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you need another couch and chair? Or are you squeezing it in for seating space, but you're not going to use it. If the former, and you actually like the stuff you purchased, go for it. Otherwise, NO. Not worth it. People can drag in dining room chairs or folding chairs. Everyone will be fine.

I'll mention that's not a lot for a couch and chair. You could do better at Bob's Discount Furniture, but the quality is often bad.

LOL, that's exactly where I ordered it.

There is space for it but the room is a designated kids play area (which is open to the living room). We hadn't been planning for another couch.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
LOL, that's exactly where I ordered it.

There is space for it but the room is a designated kids play area (which is open to the living room). We hadn't been planning for another couch.

embarrassed Sorry.

I do have a Bob's loveseat that has held up relatively well, so maybe it will be OK.

I'd still cancel the couch. You don't need it. Keep the chair for mom, especially since it won't get a huge amount of use, so it will stay nice longer. Everyone understands that seating is at a premium. It will be part of the fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics