Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it possible to make vegetable soup with

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 2:47 pm
The vegetables that were used for chicken soup?

I was thinking of sautéing onions first and blending the veggies

Did anyone try this?

Raw

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:03 pm
While I sometimes purée the vegetables from the chicken soup for my babies, I would never make it for myself! I don’t like overcooked vegetables.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:14 pm
I puree the vegetables from chicken soup and put them back into the chicken broth. It's very tasty that way.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:16 pm
You bet. Saute lots of onion and garlic. Add all vegetables. Pour in water to almost cover. Heat through until it starts to bubble. Puree with immersion blender. Season very very generously with salt to taste.

*My vegetables only cook 45 min to 1 hour in my chicken soup.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You bet. Saute lots of onion and garlic. Add all vegetables. Pour in water to almost cover. Heat through until it starts to bubble. Puree with immersion blender. Season very very generously with salt to taste.

*My vegetables only cook 45 min to 1 hour in my chicken soup.

Thanks! I thought it could work. I cooked a 20 quart pot of chicken soup and after I poured the soup into containers to freeze I couldn’t believe how many vegetables were in the pot that I would have to throw out. I saved most of the cooked vegetables in a 9x13 and will make the vegetables into soup on Sunday. It will be a good thing to have in the freezer to serve on Chol hamoed or a morning yomtov meat.

PS - my vegetables cooked all night long in the chicken soup and they are tastier than ever! I don’t usually cook overnight. The flavor is unusually strong this time.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I thought it could work. I cooked a 20 quart pot of chicken soup and after I poured the soup into containers to freeze I couldn’t believe how many vegetables were in the pot that I would have to throw out. I saved most of the cooked vegetables in a 9x13 and will make the vegetables into soup on Sunday. It will be a good thing to have in the freezer to serve on Chol hamoed or a morning yomtov meat.

PS - my vegetables cooked all night long in the chicken soup and they are tastier than ever! I don’t usually cook overnight. The flavor is unusually strong this time.

I'm surprised your overnight cooked vegetables have any flavor left at all - but I'm sure your chicken soup is fantastic.

most people who don't serve the cooked vegetables from their chicken soups discard them because they are mushy and flavorless.

I hear you though - feels strange to toss out food.

Let us know how the second soup turns out!

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
I'm surprised your overnight cooked vegetables have any flavor left at all - but I'm sure your chicken soup is fantastic.

most people who don't serve the cooked vegetables from their chicken soups discard them because they are mushy and flavorless.

I always toss the veggies! Maybe it has more flavor because I put in more chicken than usual? Somehow the strong flavor from the soup went into those veggies and they are not mushy at all - aside for the celery. The carrots and parsnips are fine. I’ll report back... thanks everyone!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 3:51 pm
I always save the veggies from when I make chicken broth. I puree it extra fine with an immersion blender, and season to taste. Everybody loves it.

This soup is great to have in the freezer when it's cold and flu season. If you have a really sore throat, you need vitamins and calories, but it's hard to get if you have trouble swallowing. Add lots of extra turmeric to help with inflammation.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:

Actually - these are the only vegetables my kids like, since they are so full of flavor after having cooked in the soup!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen