Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O: Getting rid of used clothes
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 4:21 pm
seeker wrote:
I davka don't want to donate to the kinds of places that sell the fabric by the pound for recycling. That's what I do for things that are not wearable anymore. But I'm talking about clothes that are fine, not fine enough that anyone would buy in a secondhand store, but not ready for the trash.

Saying "there are organizations" isn't so helpful, if you have information about specific ones that would take donation then I would really appreciate that info.

They usually don't get sold for rags straight off the bat. After they're bought by the pound, they get sorted and the better stuff is sold at thrift stores.
I gave up on trying to find organizations because I've been scammed and my stuff was thrown out/sold by the pound anyway. I find the end user myself or just get rid of it in the bins. If you have time you can sell it by the pound to the second hand shops yourself but I don't find it worthwhile (they also sort and sell what they can and recycle what they can't). Another option is to bring a bag of items to H&M for recycling and in return they'll give you 40% off 1 new item.

isrmss91

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 6:34 pm
If you have holey stuff (shmattes) take to H&M and they will give a 15% off coupon to use off your purchase. I'd rather the clothes get recycled then dumped in a landfill.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 6:36 pm
The Salvation Army

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 6:40 pm
will hm take stained clothing or only ones with holes in them?

isrmss91

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
will hm take stained clothing or only ones with holes in them?

They will take anything. Holey, stained. that sock missing its mate. towels, pillowcases. They don't check the bags. The have usually have a bin near the registers. I bring a regular shopping bag with me.

debsey

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
debsey- you get rid of your clothing only after having them a year. If they aren't trendy why not still wear them?

B"H my size changes pretty frequently.........In the past few years I was either in maternity, larger clothes, smaller clothes and then roomier clothes (pre-Maternity). And so went the cycle.

I'm sure my clothes will have more longevity once my family stops growing......but right now, I'm lucky that I need to change wardrobes so frequently, and I find that by the time something fits again, it's not going to be in style anymore.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 7:26 pm
so interesting... I guess I'm not trendy at all so I don't have to worry about my clothing going out of style Wink

zaq

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 7:40 pm
1. Women over 60 still shop thrift shops. I would be delighted to acquire your old suits if they fit me.

2. Not everyone is as fashion-conscious, or as fashion-caring, as you. There are people quite willing to wear flattering clothing of good quality even if it is not up-to-the-minute fashion-wise.

3. Goodwill is my go-to place for both donating excess clothing and housewares and buying clothes, and many of my friends shop there as well. It's the only place I can find longer skirts (though those are becoming ever more rare). If an item is out of style but good quality, some people are willing to pay to have it remodeled because the purchase cost is so low.

4. People shop Goodwill for many reasons, including Purim costumes. The local yeshiva bocherim go there before Purim, buy stuff for cheap, and then donate it back if they don't care t keep the stuff. Surely it's better for your out-of-date blazers and whatnot to be used as Purim costumes than to clutter up the municipal landfill?

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 8:03 pm
À friend of mine identified a need in the growing refugee population in our neighbourhood, so now I give directly to refugees through her facebook page. I also give to the local boxes for our Jewish charitable organizations. I send stained, nebishe clothes to be recycled.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 8:21 pm
Kupas ezra is amazing. Lots of people, Jewish and non Jewish, get good quality clothing there. Also, all profit goes to the organization which is very well run and important to the community.

baltomom

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 10:38 pm
Yad Leah is an organization based in Passaic that sends clothes to Israel's needy. I sent a bag of beautiful little girls' dresses to them and was so happy that these clothes would be enjoyed by someone else!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:51 am
My teenagers' (girls) clothes from last year that no longer fit, I give to families I'm friendly with, that have girls a little younger than mine. It's nice to see the clothes being worn and enjoyed by someone else.

My own clothes that are current-ish frum styles and in good shape (but shrunk massively or whatever so I can't wear them), I give to the gemach.

My own clothes that aren't current frum styles or that have stains, I give to Goodwill. I do a lot of my own shopping at Goodwill, and I see people happily snapping up old suits and things. Goodwill sells the clothes in poor condition or that don't sell to a rag dealer by weight.

(Anon because my girls are mortified that I shop at Goodwill!)

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 6:51 am
DD11 loves wearing my teen clothes. She is very into looks, has her own taste and ideas etc. She says the only problem is that the girls (BY don't know the brands lol

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:50 am
debsey wrote:
I'm talking about the two bins - the one that's for wearable and the one that's for not wearable. Pretty sure I still saw them outside my grocery store.

Both bins now say "good clothing only". They no longer take clothing that is not usable.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:21 am
What's "wearable"? Barring holes and stains, it's all the question.
On the other hand I see places asking for "new" online. No one has new to give in my world.

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 12:47 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I purge my closets every season. That means the clothes I give away are not older than 1-2 seasons. I send them to my cousins in Israel who are thrilled to get American clothing.

I’m honestly clueless as to why I was awarded two “hugs”.

Please enlighten.

little_mage

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:30 pm
Stuff that is still wearable but out of style-look for a theater department at a high school or university. If they're putting on a play that's not set in the current day, they'll often need clothing that was fashionable in a different year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics