Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken potato veg all in one pot...?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 2:48 pm
I want to make main course this friday night all in one pot, on top or in oven but juicy so it wont dry out on the blech or in oven..
chicken potato veg.... how?? I know its so simple and easy but I will ruin it if I just guess!!

I think its called pot roast ..not sure

annon because its really something I should know!!

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 3:10 pm
Nah you won't ruin it. But put a lot of water like 3/4 of the way. And make sure you put a lot of seasoning...spices, soup mix, whatever. You can fry some onions beforehand. You can add whole cloves of garlic. You can also put some rice in the pot. It'll be yum and really really filling! I do it when I have lazy shabbosim and everyone always loves it. I usually put it all in the crockpot...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 3:14 pm
pot roast involves a roast, rather than chicken. if you want a good chicken recipe, here's one:

4 onions (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (sliced)
1/4 cup oil
5 chicken quarters
4 potatoes (sliced)
1 squash (sliced)
2 carrots (sliced)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bl pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup water

saute onions +garlic in oil until golden. place chicken in pot skin side down and cook on SMALL flame for 45 min. remove chicken. place veggies in pot in layer, place chicken on top skin side up. add remainng ingredients and cook for 45 min.

this is from balabuste's choice cookbook. I love this recipe, it's hard to mess up as long as you keep the flame low. also, you can play with quantities. I leave out 2 of the onions and use 4 chicken quarters (don't know why someone would have five in a standard recipe) also, you can put in more or less veggies and change the spices a little if you want. it still comes out good.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 3:16 pm
I cook for my (ungrateful) family almost every week like this.

baba

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 4:19 pm
You could also use chicken bags. They're special plastic bags to use for the oven. You just throw everything in (I usually use zucchini, carot, potato, sweet potato and of course chicken) add any sauce you would normally use and put it in the oven. The bag keeps all the moist in, so you cant fail!

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 4:06 am
I also do this practically every week - its just the two of us usually at night. I even skin the chicken cuz I'm too lazy to clean it all properly, and it all comes out moist.

fry some onion, and garlic if you want. place chicken upside down in pan, brown. add veg - I usually use frozen, so beans, brocolli, cauliflower, whatever you have. When I do potatoes as well, I slice them, or skinny wedges (6 or 8 from a potato), or use baby potatoes. also optional to add mushrooms (canned or fresh), and carrots. season with salt, pepper, paprika, duck sauce, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes if you want, or a bit of cayenne pepper or hot paprika. It doesnt really need that much water.

turn chicken right side up, sprinkle with some more paprika for colour, cook till chicken is done. And then I leave it on the blech until we're ready. you can also do it in a pot, and then you have more space for veg and potatoes.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 9:34 am
in roasting (or disposable aluminum) pan cut up celery, carrots, garlic cloves, onions & potatoes - spice with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder & black pepper ... spice chicken same way (rubbing spices and oil into it - this keeps it from getting dry) and layer it over the potatoes - bake in oven 350 for 2 hours and then cover to keep moist ... check half way in between to make sure doesn't need a little water (1/4 cup) if not forming enough of its own gravy - enjoy!!!

lubcoralsprings

Post Fri, Sep 07 2007, 1:51 pm
1 chicken, or one pack of chicken quarters, or white meat chicken (frozen)
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 pkg.'s frozen vegtables
salt to taste
pepper to taste
( I like to add tumeric and curry but it's a personal taste.)

Bring chicken to a boil with 1 cup of water underneath, lower flame and simmer for 45 minutes, then add 2 pkg's frozen vegtables and let simmer an additional 10 minutes. When finished take off flame so vegtables don't become soggy and melt into chicken.

madys

Post Sun, Sep 16 2007, 5:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
in roasting (or disposable aluminum) pan cut up celery, carrots, garlic cloves, onions & potatoes - spice with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder & black pepper ... spice chicken same way (rubbing spices and oil into it - this keeps it from getting dry) and layer it over the potatoes - bake in oven 350 for 2 hours and then cover to keep moist ... check half way in between to make sure doesn't need a little water (1/4 cup) if not forming enough of its own gravy - enjoy!!!

Made this for first night of r'h - came out perfect, and everyone LOVED it! So simple, it will be a staple in our house!

Thanks!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 2:30 am
This has quickly become a family favorite.

Argentine Chicken Stew (Cazuela Gaucho)

2 chickens, cut up (and skinned)
flour (for dredging)
olive oil (for sauteeing)
3 large carrots, cut into chunks
8 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 lb pumpkin or hubbard squash, peeled,seeded and cut into chunks
2 large parsnips, cut into chunks
3 onions, sliced
1-2 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika (preferably Hungarian)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine
chicken stock
1/2 cup barley
2 ears corn, sliced into 1 1/2-inch slices
1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1/2 lb green beans, cut
1 egg, beaten

1. Heat some oil in a Dutch oven.
2. Dredge the chicken pieces in seasoned flour.
3. Sautee the chicken until golden brown on all sides.
4. Remove chicken and set aside.
5. If necessary, add additional oil to the pan and sautee the carrots, parsnips, potatoes and squash until golden brown.
6. Remove vegetables and set aside.
7. Sautee onions until limp and translucent.
8. Near the end of the onions'cooking time, add the garlic and paprika and saute 2-3 minutes.
9. Return chicken and sauteed vegetables to the pan.
10. Add bay leaf, white wine, salt and pepper and chicken stock to barely cover the stew.
11. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
12. Cook for 20 minutes and add barley and corn cob slices.
13. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
14. Add green beans and thawed peas and cook for 10 additional minutes.
15. Beat the egg.
16. Add a little of the hot liquid from the pan and beat the egg vigorously.
17. Add the egg to the pot and stir.
18. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
19. Taste the stew and correct the seasoning, if necessary.
20. Serve the stew in soup plates or deep dinner plates with a rim.

(I actually omit the egg altogether and use a can of corn instead of on the cob and it's so yummy)

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 3:37 am
I always wanted to know what a dutch oven is. What is it?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Sep 17 2007, 4:08 am
arita430 wrote:
I always wanted to know what a dutch oven is. What is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.....ovens

I actually used my pressure cooker, but not on pressure cook mode...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey