Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O to paper/plastic in shidduchim

aquad

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:39 am
Didn't want to derail the original topic.
In my parent's home, we always used cloth napkins, not paper, on shabbos. I really don't care either way. But one thing that always bothers me when people use paper napkins is that you only get 1, and that's it. There are no extras stacked on the table. I always find that 1 paper napkin isn't enough to get me through the meal. Cloth napkins absorb more, so it's rarely a problem that it is too dirty or wet before the meal is over.

Why don't people put extra paper napkins on the table? Not trying to be mean, just confused.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:42 am
Always do. I also always take a stack and turn them with my knuckle so they get that elegant festive look and look nice on the table, like at a kiddush or other simcha.

Hey you own your home, you should start doing it at your house..
Start a revolution! Very Happy

aquad

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:44 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Always do. I also always take a stack and turn them with my knuckle so they get that elegant festive look and look nice on the table, like at a kiddush or other simcha.

Hey you own your home, you should start doing it at your house..
Start a revolution! Very Happy

Haha, I use cloth because I like the way it looks Smile
But when we are behind on laundry, or run out on chag, it's paper all the way- with the napkin holder on the table!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:03 am
Where have you found reasonably absorbent cloth napkins? The ones at chasunas are pretty but useless. Most paper napkins are useless too. I switched to Bounty napkins, not elegant in the slightest but actually functional.

And I always [try to remember to] put extras on the table.

devash1

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:43 am
I put lots and lots of napkins on the table in a couple of places. I usually put out one pretty one so the table looks nice and then the cheaper paper ones.

shirachadasha

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 6:50 am
aquad wrote:
In my parent's home, we always used cloth napkins, not paper, on shabbos. I really don't care either way. But one thing that always bothers me when people use paper napkins is that you only get 1, and that's it. There are no extras stacked on the table. I always find that 1 paper napkin isn't enough to get me through the meal. Cloth napkins absorb more, so it's rarely a problem that it is too dirty or wet before the meal is over.

Why don't people put extra paper napkins on the table? Not trying to be mean, just confused.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't host often but I'll keep it in mind.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:47 am
IME napkin holders with extra napkins on the table are the norm. Of course there are some people who don't have them, but then again, what are you doing during the meal that requires more than one napkin? If you eat reasonably neatly and use utensils as intended, this shouldn't really be an issue. If something spills then it's obvious and others will rush to your aid with extra napkins from wherever they come from.

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:55 am
I put a huge amount of paper napkins on the table. My kids each need several to get through a meal. I love using cloth and always used them when I was single but I need my kids to move out before I go back to cloth. Smile

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 11:19 am
The caterers use polyester oneswith a nice shine. They are not really for function. A cotton mix is good. Linen is traditional and folds well, if you are into that.

I would like to get myself to a fabric store to get some pretty fabric to complete my table with some color.
Maybe I’ll make a table runner too.
(Eventually...)

agreer

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:28 pm
I have a napkin holder on the table that I fill with paper napkins. Come visit!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:37 pm
My napkin holder is on a ledge between the dining room and kitchen. Feel free to take more. Or ask me; I'll give you as many as you want.

crust

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:49 pm
IME we use cloth napkins to enhance the look of the Shabbos table but then we also need regular napkins.
I use two of these and fill it with napkins. Smile

https://www.googleadservices.c.....durl=

aquad

Post Sat, Jun 09 2018, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
Where have you found reasonably absorbent cloth napkins? The ones at chasunas are pretty but useless. Most paper napkins are useless too. I switched to Bounty napkins, not elegant in the slightest but actually functional.

And I always [try to remember to] put extras on the table.

I have nice cotton ones from bed bath and beyond. Wonderfully absorbent and reasonably priced.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:30 pm
Vanity brand luncheon and dinner napkins are a better paper napkin. I use those for shabbos, and have extra cheaper ones on the table too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:42 pm
I don't see the need to generalize. I always put a napkin holder on the table and many do. Got as wedding gift. Thoughtful, organized, hospitable people do it. People who don't either forgot or don't care enough.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 9:47 pm
aquad wrote:

I give you a Bracha that this should be the biggest problem you ever have in your life....🙂 but to start a thread about it? Really?

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:02 pm
Well, maybe Hashem prompted the OP to do it for my benefit. We made Shabbos Sheva Brochos for DD last week in our home, and we ended up using nice paper napkins.

We were setting the tables and I remembered this thread. I instructed my helpers to put a stack of the napkins on each table in addition to the fancily-folded ones at each place. Sure enough, people needed extras even though the paper napkins were high quality.

So your suggestion was heard and acted upon, OP!

aquad

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 3:56 am
Fox wrote:
Well, maybe Hashem prompted the OP to do it for my benefit. We made Shabbos Sheva Brochos for DD last week in our home, and we ended up using nice paper napkins.

We were setting the tables and I remembered this thread. I instructed my helpers to put a stack of the napkins on each table in addition to the fancily-folded ones at each place. Sure enough, people needed extras even though the paper napkins were high quality.

So your suggestion was heard and acted upon, OP!

So happy it worked out. And mazal tov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics