Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey neighborhoods

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 5:53 pm
Looking for current information for
New Hempstead- up the hill area, Pomona Heights and New City in terms of crowd, schools and any other information. If anyone lives in any and can fill me in I would be so grateful!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:10 pm
The schools are the same as the Monsey schools. What type are you?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:16 pm
I mean what Monsey schools do people in those areas generally send to?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:20 pm
amother wrote:
I mean what Monsey schools do people in those areas generally send to?

There's a mixture of different people you need to say what type you are.
Former Chasidish
Modern
Yeshivish
Heimish
Working Litvish
Those areas have some Chasidish people too but not lots

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:22 pm
we are working Litvish type and went to mainstream schools but we are not yeshivish.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
we are working Litvish type and went to mainstream schools but we are not yeshivish.

Boys:
Degel Hatorah
Yeshiva of Spring Valley
Darchei Noam

Girls:
Yeshiva of Spring Valley
Bais Yakov Chofetz Chaim

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:36 pm
Besides for the chasidish areas, Monsey is a mix of people and it’s not unusual to have kids from a neighborhood going to all the Monsey schools.
Some blocks might swing more one way or another, but not entire neighborhoods.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Boys:
Degel Hatorah
Yeshiva of Spring Valley
Darchei Noam

Girls:
Yeshiva of Spring Valley
Bais Yakov Chofetz Chaim
you can ad the cheder for boys, and the new prospect for girls.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:07 pm
New City is a great neighborhood and a big mix. We have every school here.
Boys:
The chaser
Bais mikroh
Derek Harrah
Ysv
Asher
Eitz chaim
Bais dovid
Darchei noam

Girls:
Ysv
Bycc
Bas mikroh
The new bais yaakov
Bais rochel
Bnos brochos
Prospect (opening next year)

I probably missed some.

monseymom25

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:22 pm
But yet another Monsey warning...these schools will probably all be full.

libadmin

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:02 am
The New Prospect is opening this year- there is a Facebook group you can try. Up the Hill has a nice mix but the houses tend to be mostly high ranches and some colonials. I believe they have just hired a rav for their shul. New City is a larger area and bigger homes but I do not know how far they have gotten shul wise- you can contact Shaindel Moore about New City-she is a broker who lives there. Pomona Heights has beautiful homes and Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim is very close to there. Ann Zeilingold is a well known mortgage broker who lives in Pomona Heights so she would know.
Hope this helps- we moved to Chesnut Ridge Dexter Park last year- we love it but I would classify it as Yeshivish.

susanstohelit

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:18 pm
As far as schools- PLEASE do not move unless you know your kids will have schools to attend. Especially for boys, I know far far too many people who applied in November the year before and were still on shpilkes until zero hour not knowing whether their sons were going to get into school. The thing is that there are only two relatively "relaxed" not-super-yeshivish boys' schools- YSV and Darchei Noam (which I think is now called Ohr Reuven)- the rest are all pretty yeshivish. With girls it's similar, except that Ateres will basically take everyone- plus they're opening Prospect, which should be interesting. But they're not opening new non-yeshivish schools for boys (the Cheder is supposed to be pretty right-wing) and YSV in particular is maxed out at three classes per grade despite far greater demand, so this is something to be on top of from the get go. I know one family where the mom was herself a YSV alumna and she was already sending a daughter to YSV girls and she STILL needed extreme amounts of pull to get her son into YSV boys for kindergarten.
I grew up in Monsey, and I will say that the school situation is one of the reasons why I don't want to raise kids there.
As far as those neighborhoods, I don't know much about them besides that my little sister babysits for a bunch of families up the hill and in New City, but I get the impression they're all young and trending a bit more modern, particularly in Pomona. (New City I think is a mix of some yeshivish blocks and some more modern blocks.) Up the hill is actually really close to several very established neighborhoods in Monsey- the main reason it hasn't really been super frum until now is that New Square, which is basically across the street, has spent a long time trying to prevent frum expansion around it.
One thing about all of those neighborhoods but especially Pomona- Route 202, the main street in Pomona, is becoming a real frum hotspot these days. In the last year or two there have been two pizza shops, a clothing store and a few other frum-owned businesses opening up there, and I'd be shocked if in the next five years a kosher shopping center doesn't open (my mom has tried to convince Evergreen to buy Stop and Shop lol). And it's not just people from Pomona itself shopping there- people from New Hempstead, New City, Wesley Hills, Forshay, etc will go there because they don't have to deal with Monsey traffic. I honestly think that sometime soon, Pomona will become its own self-contained frum area (besides for schooling), which will be pretty amazing.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 1:46 pm
I live in new city and work on route 202. Shul wise there are 5 minyanim in new city. Ann zeilingold is amazing and knows the areas. Her number 914 260 9000 or 845 354 9700.
Route 202 is getting there. I wish there was a fleishigs place though.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
I live in new city and work on route 202. Shul wise there are 5 minyanim in new city. Ann zeilingold is amazing and knows the areas. Her number 914 260 9000 or 845 354 9700.

Every local mortgage broker (myself included) knows the areas, not only Ann Zeilingold. Though because her office is on Route 202 where you state that you work, you may be working for her which is why you're advertising her here...

I agree with the rest of your post though. Route 202 is getting there.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
Every local mortgage broker (myself included) knows the areas, not only Ann Zeilingold. Though because her office is on Route 202 where you state that you work, you may be working for her which is why you're advertising her here...

I agree with the rest of your post though. Route 202 is getting there.

What can you tell me about the new city condos on Heritage Dr? (yes I’m the amother who asked on another thread). Asking here because this thread seems to be about new city. I was told that a frum family moved there are there are others also.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
What can you tell me about the new city condos on Heritage Dr? (yes I’m the amother who asked on another thread). Asking here because this thread seems to be about new city.

Just posted a note for you there. I closed a mortgage for a frum family that moved there a few months ago.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
Just posted a note for you there. I closed a mortgage for a frum family that moved there a few months ago.

Thanks!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:

Is Ann a real estate broker? Thanks- can you let me know about New City? What is the crowd of the shuls and what are the streets people live on? Is it a friendly community or is Pomona and the 202 area more of a community? We have young children and really want a friendly neighborly place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating