Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
7 y.o. having issues using the bathroom

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:28 pm
My 7 year old would not use the bathroom for #2 without being forced to go. He will jump around and most of the times by the time I sit him down he has already made in the panty. He will always hold it in, won't use the cheiders bathroom. Except for its not healthy is this what type of issue?? Charts punishments prizes all these don't help.

Any advice pls?

chummus

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:40 pm
Make a scheduled routine and stick to it. Morning when he gets up ,when he comes home and before bedtime he must go to the bathroom. Play I spy or give him a book while he is in the 🚻 .
Reward him for sitting on the toilet even if he did not go. It doesn't have to be a big reward could be just a candy.
Hatzlacha!!

Aylat

Post Wed, Aug 29 2018, 11:47 pm
Have you been to a doctor?

My 4 y.o, who had been toilet trained for a while, had this. The doctor diagnosed encopresis, which is where the muscle of the @nus has been weakened and faeces leak out involuntarily. He takes a daily laxative (encopresis is normally the result of long-term constipation) and is getting much better.

Not necessarily what is happening for your DS, but maybe worth checking out.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 5:41 am
Is he scared to go to the bathroom ? Like #2 takes longer so he knows he will stay there for longer . Sounds like an anxiety issue here. Does it happen more in one place as opposed to another place?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 8:37 am
I would say its an anxiety issue. Out of the house when he needs in bathroom I'd have to wait with him till he's done but at home he can sit there a long time with his book. How do I deal with anxiety?

chani8

Post Thu, Aug 30 2018, 9:12 am
Sounds like anxiety and since he's 7yo, I think you should try to talk with him about it. Or you could spend the money and have a therapist talk to him. Keep your statements factual. I see you are holding in your poop. Is there a reason? Are you too busy to sit for awhile? Do you not feel the poop trying to come out? Do you hate pooping for some reason? Is something else altogether upsetting you?

Pooping issues are a fairly common sign of s-xual abuse as well, and/or a result of a major life stress. So you need to assess his safety and read him a book on it and ask the questions carefully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics