Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Question for speech therapists

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:09 pm
in general we are trying to teach my lower elementary school dd to think before she speaks.

Background info: She is quite bright and does well in school. When she was younger her teacher said she was spacey and didn't process what was being taught in school... but recently the teachers haven't complained about anything out of the ordinary, like sometimes she spaces out but nothing major. We had her evaluated for OT for sensory integration and she received therapy for a while. She also received vision therapy on the OT's recommendation. Lastly had her evaluated for speech because she had a mild lisp but they said she can make the sound just needs to be reminded so they only gave her a few sessions.

I'm wondering if processing, word choice issues... can only be at home? She'll sometimes ask me lots of questions on what should be a simple sentence like even the most simple processing needs to be spoken out loud. She says she's just trying to understand but she admits that she doesn't do it in school. She's an above average reader but is more of a "hands on" learner. She also has a tendency of not saying what she means, like she'll say 12:45 instead of 2:45, chicken instead of fish...I have to know what she is trying to say to know that she isn't actually saying what she wants because the sentence she is saying is still completely coherent just isn't what she means. It can be incredibly frustrating trying to talk her to her.

Any advice?

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:06 pm
Are you sure this is a speech issue?

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:28 pm
If you have concerns about her development or skills, get her evaluated.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 11:32 am
The part that jumped out at me is where she doesn’t say what she means.
My husband does this all the time and I have to translate in my head or even for other people. Its worse when he’s tired.
I don’t know why he’s like this. It could just be the way he is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics