Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting to work full time from home

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 5:43 pm
Any tips? Advice? Ideas? I am IYH going to be starting a full time job, from home, after the holidays are over and I have never worked full time before and I have never worked from home before.
Any tips on how to make things run smoothly even while working full time and from home.
I know that my spouse is going to think that because I am working from home, I am going to be able to do more household things during the day, but I know that that will not be the case.

What are some ideas of how things can get done, that need to get done, and still keep us all sane? (and I will not have sundays as I live in Israel, so no sunday to cook and freeze type of ideas)

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Sep 26 2018, 6:24 pm
-crock pot dinners (not sure what the Israeli equivalent is), or dinners that are super easy.
-Be sure to have childcare set up. Do not think you can work full time from home if you have kids at home too - it's impossible.
-have a backup plan in case any kids are sent home sick from daycare/school.
-make a list of things that need to be done every day/week, and prioritize. I also work from home and try to complete 1 thing from my list every day during my mandatory lunch (don't know if you have those...)
-share your accomplishments every day with your husband, even if it's as simple as "washed 1 load of dishes." share with excitement and enthusiasm. If you value the accomplishment he's more likely to value it too.
-treat your work from home job like an out of the house job. Stick with your commitment to start and end your day on time. Keep in mind you'll save time commuting too.
-prep lunches for everyone - including you - the night before, or early in the morning. You'll save time during your lunch break if all you have to do is eat and you don't have to start prepping food for yourself.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:54 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
-crock pot dinners (not sure what the Israeli equivalent is), or dinners that are super easy.
-Be sure to have childcare set up. Do not think you can work full time from home if you have kids at home too - it's impossible.
-have a backup plan in case any kids are sent home sick from daycare/school.
-make a list of things that need to be done every day/week, and prioritize. I also work from home and try to complete 1 thing from my list every day during my mandatory lunch (don't know if you have those...)
-share your accomplishments every day with your husband, even if it's as simple as "washed 1 load of dishes." share with excitement and enthusiasm. If you value the accomplishment he's more likely to value it too.
-treat your work from home job like an out of the house job. Stick with your commitment to start and end your day on time. Keep in mind you'll save time commuting too.
-prep lunches for everyone - including you - the night before, or early in the morning. You'll save time during your lunch break if all you have to do is eat and you don't have to start prepping food for yourself.
Thank.
There are crock pots here in Israel Smile
Im not sure I will have a lunch break, so I will not be able to do things during work hours, so thats not really going to work.

Anyone else with more good ideas?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 3:25 pm
In real life I go back and forth between making CAD drawings, breaks, client meetings, errands, looking up specs & prices, picking up grandkids from school/giving granddaughter Mooky her lunch, talking with DH — so it's all mixed together. This is not a typical work-from-home scenario but it works for me... I actually work 50-hour+ weeks and often till midnight because things quiet down in the evening...

But if you want to keep work and home separate, and especially if you have school age kids:

• Have set hours.

• Don't answer the phone for non-business calls. Let the calls go to message, and then you can pick up for actual emergencies.

• Make sure relatives and friends know your working hours and available hours.

• Post a note on your door with same.

• Limit your volunteer time unless you really do have the time.

• Stop work on time and then be there for your DH and kids.

Wishing you much hatzlacha with your new job!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 3:41 pm
Tzaharon!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:10 am
I would love to find an online job to work from home. are you able to give me some leads?
thanks

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:19 am
amother wrote:
I would love to find an online job to work from home. are you able to give me some leads?
thanks
Im the OP. Sorry, I have no leads. I was just lucky enough to see a local company needing a secretary, but working from home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics