Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Babysitting without a landline

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:52 pm
Is it wrong of me to not let my 13 year daughter babysit somewhere where there’s no landline phone and will be left with a non kosher cell. I’m not crazy. Right?

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:59 pm
get your daughter a cheap flip phone so that she can babysit going forward.

13 year old me would have been furious that my mother stopped me from earning money based on lack of trust.

crust

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
Is it wrong of me to not let my 13 year daughter babysit somewhere where there’s no landline phone and will be left with a non kosher cell. I’m not crazy. Right?

I dont let my daughters babysit except on very rare occassions for very close neighbors for very short amounts of time. I'm not crazy. Right? LOL

I know I am not.

mommy27

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:17 pm
Deleted for accidental double post

Last edited by mommy27 on Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy27

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:18 pm
I think it should be the person she's babysitting responsibility to provide a phone. It's their house, and would they also expect the babysitter to bring food and water to the house? Or smoke alarms? Or band aids? It's a basic safety requirement that they should be providing. Also, why should the babysitter's mother have to pay out money, possibly more than the daughter would even make, so the daughter can do someone else a favor?

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:

I understand your position. I think you're not crazy. I would be mindful about a possible power struggle between you and dd. Are the two of you fighting about it?

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:25 pm
mommy27 wrote:
I think it should be the person she's babysitting responsibility to provide a phone. It's their house, and would they also expect the babysitter to bring food and water to the house? Or smoke alarms? Or band aids? It's a basic safety requirement that they should be providing. Also, why should the babysitter's mother have to pay out money, possibly more than the daughter would even make, so the daughter can do someone else a favor?

they are. but OP isn't happy with the phone.

lkwdgirl

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:36 pm
It me the “poster “ my daughter has no clue I was involved. Whenever people text me if she could babysit I tell them to call the house and speak to her directly. I play dumb and try to let her deal with it. Anything from the mother is poison.

ysydmom

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 10:56 pm
my daughter babysits a lot I don't let her leave my house without a phone. I think every child who can go out by themselves even to the grocery store should have a phone. It is a safety issue. It's not like when we were kids and there were payphones on every corner. it's not safe to go out without a phone. That being said the person she is babysitting for should have a phone in the house in case of emergencies. Their own kids should have a way to call for help if need be. So I agree with you that there needs to be a phone in home.

cm

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 11:14 pm
If you do not want her to use the type of cell phone provided for her use by the parents but would otherwise allow her to babysit, you have a choice: do not let her sit for this family, or get her a mom-approved phone.

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 11:31 pm
I would not ever.

I do not have a landline.
Dh has two phones. One personal one work, filtered and all. But we never leave a babysitter with his second phone. We either activate a prepaid flip - talk only phone or borrow from a neighbor/family. There was once when the phone didn't work and I ended up staying home. Too bad.

I wouldn't let my child babysit with a smartphone. Even a filtered one. Or with access to a computer. They are more tech savy than you!
But we can be smarter.
All devices are physically locked away when we have a babysitter over.
I am not taking any chances.

Innocence is not something you can ever get back. Be smart. Protect your precious daughter.

lkwdgirl

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:27 am
Thanks. Even a phone with just talk and text I honestly am not comfortable with. I would hope not but teens are teens and I would hope she would browse through texts. Better safe than sorry. Right?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics