Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Staten Island Community

luckysunshine

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:01 pm
Hey ... I'm interested in hearing from people who live in Staten Island, regarding the type of Jewish community that Staten Island has. What type of people live there? What is the price range for homes there? In general, what can you tell me about living in Staten Island?
I'm interested in hearing from everyone, but I'm specifically interested in any Lubavitch individuals that live there and could tell me about schools, etc.
Thanks.

bashinda

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 7:35 pm
There's Rabbi Katzman there but I don't know who else is there for Lubavitchers. I'd call him for more information.

creativemommyto3

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 8:12 pm
I lived in SI from the age of 8-21. I am not lubavitch. R' Katzman is the lubavitch Rav. There is no lubavitch school per say. There is JFS which is coed and there is Mercaz Hatorah of Staten Island for both boys and girls. I went to Mercaz Hatorah. There is no highschool for girls . I don't remember if there is still one for boys. There is a young israel, there is an agudah , and a chassidish shul (it's run by a chassidish Rabbi) .

You NEED a car to go shopping etc. The bus system is not that great. You need a lot of time if you want to go by bus b/c they don't come that often. There is a costco. There is minimal jewish shopping but many still shop in brooklyn.

anything else, just ask.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 11:56 pm
Lubavitch has a pre-school called torah tots but once first grade comes around, you either need to send your kids to the schools listed above or bus them out to brooklyn. Lubavitch also runs a gan israel day camp in the summer. Jewish food stores are limited but basically sufficient...I grew up in SI and I think it's all what you get use to. Moishe's in Brooklyn delivers to SI. Semi attached houses start from about $400,000 and taxes are low as well as tuition as compared to other communities.

luckysunshine

Post Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:38 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics