Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
New employee handing out snacks to make introductions..

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:18 pm
I saw this on LinkedIn. A company posted a picture of a new hire going around with a cart of snacks and drinks to the other employees. There's a sign on the cart that says "Hi. my name is _____ I'm new here!!"

I guess it's a way for the new hire to meet the old employees and get to know each other.
Would you appreciate it?

I thought I'd feel so awkward and embarrassed having to push a cart with food in a new place.. Just the thought makes me cringe. From the comments, it seemed that most people thought it was a wonderful idea.

What do you think?

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:19 pm
seems kind of weird. It must be specific to that work environment

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:21 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
seems kind of weird. It must be specific to that work environment

Dunno.. it's a regular office environment it seems. I think mostly frum people, if that matters.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:23 pm
Seems weird to me. Kashrus aside, there are so many different reasons someone might have to decline an offer of food, and it could make things awkward. I wouldn't want to be putting myself into a position where that kind of awkwardness is bound to come up, especially if I was new.

moonstone

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:30 pm
Sounds cringeworthingly awful!!

Chazak613

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:44 pm
I saw the post on Linkedin as well. It was very interesting. It has a sign saying something like "I'm new here, Hi, my name is ____. Then it had snacks on one shelf and drinks on the other. I would personally be really embarrassed, but it depends on the person and office environment.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:45 pm
I don't like this idea at all. As a matter of fact, I always make it my business to take the new hire and introduce her/him to everyone to make her/him feel welcome. I also bring her/him snacks and a drink of water on their first day because they are usually too uncomfortable to get up in the middle of training and get something to eat.
I'm not a business owner or manager, but I've worked in a place where nobody was ever introduced to me and for a full month I had no idea who I worked with. Ever since then I've been on a mission to make new employees feel welcome and comfortable no matter where I've worked since.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:01 pm
Glad to hear others think so too..
Most people commenting were saying things along the lines of "what a cool idea" and "such a great way to break the ice"
All I'm thinking is.. Poor poor guy.
Not only went through that, but now has a picture of him doing this awkward thing posted publicly for thousands of people to see.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:16 pm
I think I heard something similarish - in the oorah offices new employees have a jar with sweets in it on their desk and everyone comes over TO THEM to introduce themselves and then take a sweet. When the jar is empty they met everyone.
Its something along those lines, I never worked there, just heard about it a while back.

ces

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:22 pm
Ok now I'm curious. Where on LinkedIn is this posted so I can see it?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:15 pm
ces wrote:
Ok now I'm curious. Where on LinkedIn is this posted so I can see it?

I saw it posted by Zechariah Waxler at Roth and Company.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 5:01 pm
A cart is weird but in my office a guy has a bucket of candies on his desk and it's one of the most popular desks to hang out by! Even executives make an excuse to stop by

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:36 pm
Once in a long while I'll bake something to take to work but I'll just put it on the secretary's station (where there's room in my office, if not I'd put it in the break room) with a note saying who made it and whether it's chalavi or not so no one has to refuse for kashrut or diet reasons.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 11:11 pm
amother wrote:
I saw this on LinkedIn. A company posted a picture of a new hire going around with a cart of snacks and drinks to the other employees. There's a sign on the cart that says "Hi. my name is _____ I'm new here!!"

I guess it's a way for the new hire to meet the old employees and get to know each other.
Would you appreciate it?

I thought I'd feel so awkward and embarrassed having to push a cart with food in a new place.. Just the thought makes me cringe. From the comments, it seemed that most people thought it was a wonderful idea.

What do you think?

I had a bowl of chocolates on my desk and a balloon saying welcome. I also went out of my way to go around and meet people.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 3:34 am
Disclaimer: I never worked in an office.

Is this something the boss offers for the new employee or the employee wants to do it on their own? If it's the former, really weird. If it's the latter, I feel like they're trying to hard for people to like them.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:51 am
Lol on my first day, I aas taken out to lunch by my bosses. They knew I keep kosher but took me to a treif place anyways (no where kosher nearby). I got water and chips just to have something to eat. One of the bosses keeps “kosher” so he assumed I would get a salad or tuna. Super uncomfortable!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:58 am
yo'ma wrote:
Disclaimer: I never worked in an office.

Is this something the boss offers for the new employee or the employee wants to do it on their own? If it's the former, really weird. If it's the latter, I feel like they're trying to hard for people to like them.

It was the former.
It seems they do this for every new hire, since it's a prepared cart with the company name on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics