Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos in Miami, help plan

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:29 pm
Hi, it will be just DH and myself for shabbos in FL. So excited!!!
So we are looking for recommendations for a hotel near a shul. we like quiet and peaceful doesnt need to be very fancy, but clean, functional, a porch would be nice, and/or close to a quiet (tznius) boardwalk or park. it can even be more north, Hollywood or Ft Lauderdale. and where is the best place to order shabbos food from. Like which local restaurants sell shabbos packages? or which stores sell takeout. We prefer lubavitch shechita. tia

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:09 pm
You can book a hotel near Chabad shul in Fort Lauderdale. ask Chabad rabbi about food and which hotel

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:26 pm
Please be aware that if the weather is warm, no boardwalk will be "tznius." There will be people walking around in beachwear, since it's the beach.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
Please be aware that if the weather is warm, no boardwalk will be "tznius." There will be people walking around in beachwear, since it's the beach.

I've been to Miami once for a weekend to visit my sibling and there were bikini clad women walking the streets , no cover ups and no towels worn around their waists either, on their way to the beach. I didn't even see the beach or go there even though her building was by the beach. Just giving you this info because you mentioned the tznius issue. This was in June though.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:44 pm
If you want to walk around and have others be tznius better stick to a cold climate.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:18 pm
Just to set the record straight- people do NOT walk on the street in Miami Beach in beach attire. Perhaps you saw this on Collins avenue. BUT, as a long-time Miami Beach resident, I can tell you that I have (almost) never seen "bikini clad women" on 41st street or any of the residential streets where people live. Collins avenue sits alongside the beach and that is perhaps where you will bump into pritzus.(I am never on Collins on Shabbos but I am guessing that's where you were.)
Just felt it was important to set the record straight, as this gives the wrong impression of Miami Beach, a city which is BH home to many Bnei Torah.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:20 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Just to set the record straight- people do NOT walk on the street in Miami Beach in beach attire. Perhaps you saw this on Collins avenue. BUT, as a long-time Miami Beach resident, I can tell you that I have (almost) never seen "bikini clad women" on 41st street or any of the residential streets where people live. Collins avenue sits alongside the beach and that is perhaps where you will bump into pritzus.(I am never on Collins on Shabbos but I am guessing that's where you were.)
Just felt it was important to set the record straight, as this gives the wrong impression of Miami Beach, a city which is BH home to many Bnei Torah.

Have you never been to Walgreens on pine tree? It's close enough to the beach that people walk over in beach wear all the time.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:31 pm
Walgreens is pretty close to Collins. And no I generally don't shop in Walgreens or anywhere else on Shabbos. Wink
Again, I'm not saying it absolutely doesn't exist. But the previous poster left the impression that women in bathing suits prance around Miami all day, which is simply not the case in the residential areas and 41st street.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:

Correct. My sister lived on Collins Avenue at that time

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
Walgreens is pretty close to Collins. And no I generally don't shop in Walgreens or anywhere else on Shabbos. Wink
Again, I'm not saying it absolutely doesn't exist. But the previous poster left the impression that women in bathing suits prance around Miami all day, which is simply not the case in the residential areas and 41st street.

Walgreens is literally across the street from tower 41, home to hundreds of frum Jews. But anyway. No, they aren't prancing the streets all day in bikinis. But if you stay in a hotel, whether you're on the hotel grounds or walking on the street outside (all of the hotels are on Collins), you will be surrounded by people in beach wear. It's just the reality of vacationing in a place like Miami Beach. Or, you can choose to rent a home on the other side of town and not go near the Collins area or visit the beach at all

Regardless, this whole conversation came about because op mentioned a quiet/ tznius boardwalk. And I pointed out that unless it's chilly, every boardwalk will have people who are going to the beach, dressed as such.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:41 pm
I wasn’t even thinking of people walking around in bathing suits. In warm climates people will be wearing tank tops, shorts, sundresses. That’s not what OP may consider tznius
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics