Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Grand Canyon

Eemaof3

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:02 pm
Anyone ever been? Thinking down the road for a possible vacation with dc mid/late teens. Any suggestions for sightseeing, rentals/hotels, food, etc.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:17 pm
It's a must see, but only in the fall, winter or spring. It's far too hot any other time of the year. I can't help you with accommodations since I camp and I've only gone (4x) to hike to the bottom of the canyon.

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:27 pm
We went last summer and actually stayed in a hotel on the south rim.

Not sure I'd recommend the expense.

Food is an issue so you will need to plan ahead. There is no bbqing in the park unless you are staying in their camping site.

It poured the day we went.

We hired a guide to walk us down into the canyon rather than trying on our own. Also pricey (look at pink jeep) but well worth it since we were traveling with children.

Another beautiful place to go near the Grand Canyon is Sedona.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 4:58 pm
You can go in the summer, just start early, put on lotion, and drink lots of water. There are about 6 official hotels right on the South Rim, some literally on it, some a few minutes walk away. Otherwise the nearest town I think is called Tusayan, about 5-10 minute drive, and has more lodging choices. Main trails in are South Kaibab and Bright Angel. The latter is more popular, but the former is actually better (just a bit steeper). You don't have to go more than 1-2 miles in to appreciate the grandeur of the place.

The trails are well-paved and maintained; use common sense and you'll be fine. Then there are other viewpoints that you can drive to, and some that you can only reach on the park shuttle. You can combine the GC with Sedona and Page/Lake Powell. Alternatively, you can go to the less-crowded North Rim (closer to Vegas, South Rim closer to Phoenix), and combine it with Bryce and Zion NPs.

Eemaof3

Post Mon, Jun 08 2015, 8:15 pm
Thanks all! This is why I turn here first.
Feel free to add if anyone has anything else.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 4:18 pm
I went, loved it. They have helicopters and small planes. Very impressive to do.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 4:24 pm
When I was in Arizona in January a few years ago they said that it's not a safe time to go to the Grand Canyon because of snow. Maybe that's not always the case though.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 5:20 pm
Correct, in the winter the tops of the trails are usually frozen over, or covered with snow, and not passable unless you have crampons or other proper foot gear.

jkw

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 11:59 am
Bumping up this thread. We are hoping to go in October. Fly to Phoenix, spend Shabbos there, and head out early Sunday am. Need to take VERY LATE flight back on Monday.

Is this doable by car? I hear you can actually fly to the GC?

Are there any day tours you can recommend or guides?

Want to see Sedona too.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:30 am
You can drive to the Grand Canyon early Sunday morning (4 hours from Phoenix), do as much as you can that day, drive to Sedona (2 hrs back towards Phoenix) and stay there overnight, see what you can on Monday and then drive to PHX for your flight.

I did the GC alone when I was single- there's a shuttle the drives all around the south rim with designated stops. You can get off at each stop, walk around a bit and then get back on the shuttle when the next one comes and go to the next stop. I just made friends with a random family and hung out with them for a couple of hours Smile

Sedona is stunning. Highly recommend Pink Jeep tours.
Tripadvisor.com is helpful and maybe this might be helpful to you
http://forums.dansdeals.com/in.....332.0

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:21 pm
Bumping this up. Thinking of doing a weekend trip thursday-monday. Anyone was there recently and has recommendations for tour guides, and shabbos meals?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:35 pm
Was there in recently Sedona is a must see it's gorgeous!! Food is only in Phoenix... check out dans deals trip blogs great ideas

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 8:51 pm
There is a Chabad in Flagstaff (friend of mine!) which is 1.5 hours from the Grand Canyon. I think you can get food through them.

ETA: https://www.jewishflagstaff.co.....r.htm

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:00 pm
It seems kind of cold there now, no?
Is it still enjoyable?

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:55 pm
You don't need a tour guide. The Grand Canyon has designated stops, and much of the rim you can't drive along, and only go on the park shuttle. Sedona can also easily be done on a self-guided tour, so save your money. The Grand Canyon can get extremely hot in the summer, so this is actually a very pleasant time of year to go. Shabbos meals you should be able to get in Phoenix or Scottsdale.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:59 pm
So cool. Seems like we can stay Flagstaff for shabbos. And they have meals. Any suggestions regarding hikes and stuff to do.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 12:06 am
We went with a fabulous tour guide, Duane from silverspurtours.com. he has a big luxurious Mercedes sprinter, and provided snacks each day. He went out of his way to get us fruit, and we ate the nabisco cookies. A really really nice guy. Yes, it was pricey, but it was so relaxing for us not to have to drive and figure out where we were going. He took us overnight to Page Arizona to see horseshoe bend and antelope canyon which were breathtaking.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 7:27 am
Bryce is cooooold even in summer in morning

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 28 2019, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
So cool. Seems like we can stay Flagstaff for shabbos. And they have meals. Any suggestions regarding hikes and stuff to do.

At the Grand Canyon, go 1-1.5 miles down the South Kaibab trail. It goes 7.5 miles all the way to the bottom, so go as far as you want and then turn around and retrace your steps when you're ready, but try to go down far enough to fill like you're in it (I believe the turnaround spot we chose was called Cedar Point, 1.5 miles down).

In Sedona, choose from West Fork Trail, Devil's Bridge, Bell Rock, and Cathedral Rock. Another popular activity is the Pink Jeep Tours, and also watching sunset from Airport Mesa. The city of Page is stunning, but it's another 2 hours north of the GC.

This can all easily be done self-guided, and no need to spend money on a guide unless you have extra money and feel more comfortable with one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics