Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Looking for suggestions

cdawnr

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 6:56 am
ok, so my s-I-l is expecting a boy and does nto plan on having more (she has 2 girls). As things are, it seems highly improbably to her that her sibs will have kids so she feels that she is the only one who will name after her grandmother who passed away 1.5 yr ago. Her name was Fruma

At the same time, my mom has been mentioning in their house numerous times that no one ever names after my great grandfather Elias, which my mom researched as a derivative of Elijah.

SIL discovered that Fruma actually is from a german name meaning joy or happiness. So we were trying to come up with a way to combine the two naming afters into one...

Does anyone know of any "joy" boy names that would start with the E-L beginning like Elias does.

Thanks

Atali

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 6:36 pm
I would recommend just naming him Eliyahu Simcha or something like that, but doesn't "Fruma" come from frum?

bonitag1

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 7:39 pm
I checked a Jewish name book I have (Kaganoff, A Dictionary of Jewish Names and their History) and Elias is derived from Elijah/Eliyahu, as you were told. Here is what it says about Fruma:
"The name Frohmut ("joy" in German) was a name for the Hebrew Simcha. In Poland the meaning was forgotten and the name became Frommet ("pious one") and developed into the Yiddish woman's name Fruma."
So Eliyahu Simcha sounds like a good choice.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 12:05 am
Check with a rov who understands these things before naming a boy after a woman (or vice versa). I have learnt that it can cause the child big problems later in life.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 7:47 am
Fruma means "frum". There are testimonies to this even before the 10th century. It is not a Polish thing, but a Provençal/Frankish word. Frommet is not Polish in origin.

Elias is indeed a secular form of Eliyahu.

I know many people named after opposite gender, but check if it's done in your community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names