Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
I need a recipe for a dairy pasta dish

proud_mama

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 8:08 pm
I just splurged and started getting a cleaning lady 2 weeks ago. The day she comes is a dairy lunch day in school for my kids and for supper I can only use the toaster oven cuz I want the cleaning lady to clean the oven and stove top. I made lasagna the last 2 weeks, but I want to do s/th different. I boiled up elbow macaroni, does anyone know a good dish I can make with that in the toaster? Or any other dairy suppers, sort of a one pot supper dish that can be made in the toaster?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:02 am
why not just melt some cheese on top, or let the kids pick their own toppings? you can make some omelettes in advance and heat them (carefully) in the oven right before supper. you could also make a casserole, find some recipes online.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:07 am
take a jar of marinara sauce ... lots of mozzerella cheese ... oregano, garlic powder and black pepper ... melt and put over the pasta ...

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:09 am
I have one more ... I've seen but I don't like ... some of my kids do though ... just put cottage cheese with cinnamon and sugar ... on top of pasta ...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:12 am
or cottage cheese with ketchup

or tuna with cheese and tomatoes.

have you tried chummus on pasta? my brother claims it's good.

I'd advise you use the pasta as a side dish and make fish fillets or fish sticks in the oven. you can also bake zucchini in the oven, sprinkled with bread crumbs, spices, and cheese. toaster ovens are very useful.

Lani22

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:12 am
Tuna casserole?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 12:20 pm
Make your own pizza or pizza bagels.

CRISPY FRANKFURTER LOAF

1 lb. hot dogs
1 beaten egg
1 T butter or margarine, melted
6 servings mashed potato flakes
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup potato flakes

Split each hot dog lengthwise, cutting through not quite to the bottom. Arrange five in a row with edges touching, in 8 by 8 pan.

Prepare 6 servings of instant potatoes following package directions, except reduce water to 1 1/2 cups. Stir in egg. Spread over hot dogs and sprinkle with half of the cheese.

Slash the remaining hot dogs and place, cut side down, on top of the potatoes. Combine the melted butter, the rest of the potato flakes, and the remaining cheese. Sprinkle over hot dogs and bake at 400 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until brown.

BROCCOLI RIGATONI
This came from the Taste of Home magazine but I changed it to suit our tastes.
Boil one package ziti noodle. Set aside. Saute an onion with three cloves garlic and add a package of frozen broccoli. You could stop there, but I also added a green pepper, small zucchini, small eggplant, and a handful of mushrooms. Basically you’re making a stir fry of yummy vegetables. I used different veggies than in the salad (below).

While that is sauteing, in a saucepan, put a small amount of olive oil and ¼ cup flour to cook. Add 2 ½ cups milk, slowly, let boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add a slice of smoked cheese if you have it, otherwise add most of an 8 oz. grated package of cheese (cheddar or mozzarella) and stir until melted. This is your white sauce.

Take a 9 by 13 deep pan and layer – white sauce, ziti noodles, veggies. Repeat. White sauce, ziti noodles, veggies. Top with the rest of the grated cheese and add Italian seasoning and black pepper if you want to use them, cover with foil, and bake at 350 or so for about half an hour, or until hot.

Eggplant Steaks
I got this recipe recently from the internet, I just don't remember where! It's great, like a low fat/healthy Eggplant Parmesan!
In large bowl, mix together 1 to 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped basil (I just used a sprinkling of Italian seasoning), 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 tsp oregano (I omitted this since I used the Italian seasoning). Toss together 5 baby Italian eggplants (or 1 large eggplants, sliced in 1/2 inch rounds). Broil or grill for 2 minutes, until brown. Turn over and repeat. Place 4 plum tomatoes, sliced, and an 8 oz roll of goat cheese (I think mozzarella would be fine instead of this), on top of the eggplant slices. Place another piece of eggplant on top to make a sandwich(I didn't do this, I just served it as-is). Serve with topping as follows: mix 5 chopped plum tomatoes, 1/2 cup fresh basil (see above), 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion (I just used one small onion), and salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for an hour at room temperature for flavors to "ripen".

GREEK VEGETABLE PIE

Combine 3 beaten eggs, 2 cups cottage cheese, and 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese in bowl. Set aside.

Heat 2 tsp olive oil in frying pan or Dutch oven and add a cut up onion, 8 oz mushrooms (fresh or canned), and 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic. Sautee for two minutes. Add 10 oz fresh or frozen spinach (frozen is fine as I wouldn’t waste good fresh spinach on this dish, it doesn’t need it), 1/2 tsp black pepper and sautee for two or three more minutes.

Combine mixtures and add three sprigs of dill (optional). Pour into 2 quart casserole dish or disposable foil pan and bake for 20 – 30 minutes at 350. Cool slightly before serving.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

COTTAGE CHEESE PIE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a nine inch pan with non stick cooking spray. Mix 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Pat onto bottom and side of dish. (You could make this dish without the crust, also. I never bother with the crust.)

Mix 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, 1 cup cubed or shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup milk, 4 egg whites, and 1 whole egg together. Stir in 2 cups sautéed (drained) spinach or broccoli and sauteed mushrooms, whichever you like better. (At this point you can cover and chill the filling and crust separately to bake up to 8 hours later.)

Pour filling into crust and smooth top. Bake for 40 minutes or until knife inserted tests clean.

Cut into four slices and serve immediately.

GARLIC LOVER’S PASTA

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in deep saucepan or Dutch oven and sautee two large onions. Chop up five cloves of garlic and add. Cut up four plum tomatoes and add to pan with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and some water, broth, or wine (alternatively you can use 28 oz. caned Italian style tomatoes undrained and coarsely chopped – add some basil, salt, and black & red pepper if not using some prepared sauce). Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick.

Boil linguini or thin spaghetti in a separate pot and serve pasta topped with above sauce and a pinch of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Since I got this recipe from Cooking Light years ago, I have the nutritional content. I did, however, change it slightly so the following is approximate. (I added onions and the homemade sauce part.)

Makes four servings of one cup pasta, 1/2 cup sauce, and 2 tablespoon cheese. 322 calories, 9.6 from fat, 11 grams protein. 47 grams carbs, 3.4 grams fiber, 5 mg Cholesterol, 2.3 mg iron, and 817 mg sodium. 167 mg. Calcium.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 1:33 pm
You could also check out recipes on this site. I have posted there, too.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 1:48 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Make your own pizza or pizza bagels.

CRISPY FRANKFURTER LOAF

1 lb. hot dogs
1 T butter or margarine, melted

3/4 cup shredded cheese

Hot dogs and cheese??

saboni

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:00 pm
Chocolate Moose, I love your broccoli rigatoni recipe! I'm going to make it for supper tonight!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:00 pm
Enjoy it!

Yes, amother. Either use fleishey hot dog and pareve cheese, or vice versa.

proud_mama

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:26 pm
hi everyone,
I just got to go online (while the kids are eating supper) wow, so many great ideas. Thank you so much. I think I will have a lot of options, I have to look them over a little more and decide what to make next. last night I happened to find an old thread on this topic, and found a few interesting tuna casseroles, I adapted a few of them together and to fit my taste, the kids are eating it now, only one of the kids isnt crazy about it (she only likes classic chicken and rice - very hard palate to please).

I will definitely use these recipes, thanks again

MahPitom

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 2:51 pm
You can add cubes of eggplant or zucchini and bake with the pasta and sauce and cheese. It will take more than an hour but it’s worth it. cover it with aluminum foil.

Also, you might want to make homemade pizza (freeze in advance) or garlic knots to go with salad. Take pizza dough and cut in strips, dip into oil/salt/ pressed garlic mixture/ make into a knot and bake. There’s nothing like it with salad. It doesn’t have to be a pasta/cheese dinner every time.

Try something that you can make in advance, like fruit salad with fish and rize… whatever!

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 3:14 pm
I have a gr8 recipe for noodle cheese kugel and I make in my toaster cuz I dont want to make my oven dairy. let me know if ur interested!

shopaholic

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 7:47 am
I've made CM's broccoli rigatoni & its very very good

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 7:50 am
wow the pasta got lost somewhere ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals