Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many times did you sewer pipe back up from toilet to out

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:21 pm
Our house is almost 100 years old, so this may not apply to those with new houses.
Does your pipe from the toilet in the basement out to the sewer ever get clogged or back up? If yes, how many times does it happen a year? a decade?

(And did you ever replace the sewer pipes to a bigger size to prevent it? How much did it cost to replace?)

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 8:45 pm
we had a problem with flushable wipes. It caused sewer backups.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:01 pm
We don't flush wipes. Has your toilet ever backed up without flushing wipes or other things you shouldn't be flushing?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 9:01 pm
Yes!

My house is about 100 years old, we've dealt with this for many years
In my case, we had a tree belonging to the city with very deep roots, BH the city took it down, but only after we lived in the house for many years. We had a camera put down to see and cut the roots, had to do every yer or two, was not cheap.

We also had a tenant that used to put either flushable, non flushable wipes or something down as we could see what came up with snaking.

We had so many problems that we learnt to see them ahead of time, see if you have a deep water hole, possibly do as most old houses have them. This is a deep hole where the sewer and water main connects to the house, when there's a backup the hole will fill first and you can get a sewage guy before it backs up.
We added it to our nightly house check list.

We had so many problems including mold from backups, we spent so much time, energy and money on it. One of my biggest stresses! Our first backup happened right after we gutted the basement, sewer guy fixed and we didn't realize at the time that this would be a huge issue in our lives.

BH, since the tree was removed and tenant was replaced, we've BH had no issues!!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 28 2019, 11:07 pm
We do preventative sewer cleaning every six months.
I also snake the tub every year.
Never use flushable wipes
And did you know , you can buy insurance through the nyc DEP for around $15 a month? This covers your main line from the city sewer to your house.
Without this insurance, you are responsible for the first 50 ft outside your house.
Years ago, I heard this costs $10,000 to replace. I'm sure it's more now.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
Yes!

My house is about 100 years old, we've dealt with this for many years
In my case, we had a tree belonging to the city with very deep roots, BH the city took it down, but only after we lived in the house for many years. We had a camera put down to see and cut the roots, had to do every yer or two, was not cheap.

We also had a tenant that used to put either flushable, non flushable wipes or something down as we could see what came up with snaking.

We had so many problems that we learnt to see them ahead of time, see if you have a deep water hole, possibly do as most old houses have them. This is a deep hole where the sewer and water main connects to the house, when there's a backup the hole will fill first and you can get a sewage guy before it backs up.
We added it to our nightly house check list.

We had so many problems including mold from backups, we spent so much time, energy and money on it. One of my biggest stresses! Our first backup happened right after we gutted the basement, sewer guy fixed and we didn't realize at the time that this would be a huge issue in our lives.

BH, since the tree was removed and tenant was replaced, we've BH had no issues!!

Yes we check that hole every once in a while but it's annoying.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 12:00 am
amother wrote:
We do preventative sewer cleaning every six months.
I also snake the tub every year.
Never use flushable wipes
And did you know , you can buy insurance through the nyc DEP for around $15 a month? This covers your main line from the city sewer to your house.
Without this insurance, you are responsible for the first 50 ft outside your house.
Years ago, I heard this costs $10,000 to replace. I'm sure it's more now.

what is preventive sewer cleaning?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 12:17 am
My parents have an old house and they were advised not to even flush tissues as they don’t dissolve the same way toilet paper does. For shabbos they cut toilet paper. As long as they follow this there is no backup.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 8:22 am
amother wrote:
what is preventive sewer cleaning?

We have the main line snaked to 50-60 ft toward the street every 6 months. This prevents buildup.
House is 100 years old too. 15 years ago , the sewer backed up a few times into the basement.
Snaking the sewer twice as year has helped us to avoid this happening

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 8:23 am
Is this a home with no basement? My friend had this.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
We have the main line snaked to 50-60 ft toward the street every 6 months. This prevents buildup.
House is 100 years old too. 15 years ago , the sewer backed up a few times into the basement.
Snaking the sewer twice as year has helped us to avoid this happening

Who does this, the plumber?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Is this a home with no basement? My friend had this.

it does have a basement and it gets backup and flooding sometimes.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Mar 29 2019, 12:05 pm
Not the plumber. Tom from Bedford Sewer
718-789-0818

We have a basement. This is the reality of brooklyn houses. Old street sewer pipes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics