Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o Hungarians
Previous  1  2

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 29 2019, 9:49 pm
im part hungarian part chekoslovakian.
spotless houses, polished silver, china, lace tablecloth...totally normal.

I must say both sides were poor and I disagree with ruchale: no matter how little money my grandparents had the laundry was always strached, ironed, food served nicely (even if it was only simple food)...

ive read the scent of snoflowers recently and they describe how they used measuring sticks in the ghetto while hiding in 1944 in budapest in order to stock the freshly ironed/strached linen accurately in the cupboards, each piece of laundry separated with pink parchment paper and ribbons. I mean: they were staving but had perfect closets.

my grandmother (who survived 3 yeary in auschwitz) could serve a simple meatless stew or soup with bread and go the extra mile to cut up all vegetables in precise cubes and sprinkle chives to make it look 'gourmet'.

she was by no means superficial (she would never own new clothes or anything at all actually), but houseeeping runs in their genes. windows perfectly clean, no dust anywhere..these things dont cost and seem to come naturally. she was a fulltime working holocaust surviver with kids and no support or help or money.

I use plastic table covers. when my relatives come to our seudas they cant get over the fact taht we use disposable tableclothcovers. for them it is like going otd Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics